Thursday, January 24, 2013

Vain (The Seven Deadly, #1) Fisher Amelie


4.5 Stars

”…you may lose hope in the sorrow of an unplanned life but as long as you have faith and trust in adoration, in affection, in love, that sorrow will turn to happiness. And that is a constant, dear…”

I agree with the reviews, VAIN is not your typical young adult romance novel, sure there’s a girl who meets boy, BUT VAIN IS.SO.MUCH.MORE.

Don’t read the summary because it doesn’t do any justice, instead read the reviews.

Sophie is your typical spoiled bratty princess, except not only she is spoiled, vain, selfish and self-absorbed, she in my opinion, is cruel. There was no question to who Sophie Price’s character was, Amelie painted a very, but much needed, ugly picture. After being caught with drugs for the second time, Sophie is sentenced to an orphanage in Uganda for 6 months to basically be reformed. Ian/Dingane works at the orphanage and wants nothing to do with spoiled Sophie.

I originally didn’t want to read VAIN because it’s hard for me to read about kids in orphanages, but I was really curious because of all the reviews. VAIN wasn’t anything I expected and like I said before, it was just so much more.

I didn’t care for the beginning, it was a little too shocking and depressing, but I understood Amelie was trying to do to us, the reader. Amelie was trying to help us understand who Sophie Price is. My only complaint is that I wish the beginning wasn’t so long. I enjoyed reading the parts at the orphanage so much more.

Sophie is one mean evil bia, without a question, she deserved her sentence. In the beginning, we see Sophie explain to us why she needs to be perfect and how no matter how many parties she goes to, drugs she takes and relationships she forms and ruins, she is still unhappy. She pretty much can’t get over herself and I didn’t find this part annoying, but just really sad.

When we are introduced to Ian/Dingane character, I had a HUGE Smile on my face. Of course, Ian is beautiful, selfless and is a bit grumpy towards Sophie, which adds the delicious tension I love reading.

”You’ve arrested my senses and I can’t seem to get enough of you”

I’ll pause and give you a moment to SIGH with me. Ian has a big heart and it makes you love him more. The interaction between Ian and Sophie is really all innocent, since there’s zero sex and any form of foreplay, which is perfect because I think if anything got any heavier the theme and tone of the story wouldn’t jive for me.

There really wasn’t one dull moment. Just when an obstacle occurs and is settled, another one pops up and it’s always different and interesting. There weren’t any fillers, fluffy words or unnecessary scenes, it was so refreshing to take a moment and read and think about each word, because everything meant something and added to the story.

I loved the side characters and got enough of a glimpse to see other dynamics besides the Ian/Sophie story line, but there’s a healthy amount of Ian/Sophie to read. VAIN is written from Sophie’s POV and I sort of wish I could have read it from Ian’s as well, but I’m not going to complain because Sophie’s POV was enough to make me happy.

”If I was tired, he was there for me to lean on. He was sweet and attentive yet didn’t overwhelm me. He was subtle.”

I whole heartily agree to the fact that Ian and Sophie’s relationship was 100% subtle and completely sweet and perfect. No, their relationship wasn’t epic, but it’s enough to where you reflect upon yourself and question if you are the best you can be. (That comment may not make sense until you read the book).

At 94% I was pretty shocked and almost crying

At 95% I was pretty shocked again and so elated

Suffice it to say, the last few chapters are pretty dramatic and won’t leave you disappointed.

There’s plenty of action, drama and sad moments, but all necessary and adds so much depth to the story. My favorite parts were Sophie’s interaction with the children and how Sophie responses to tough situations. It was so nice to be a part of that, you really felt like YOU.WHERE.THERE

”The shortest distance between two points is the line from me to you”

No, this isn’t your typical romantic novel, but like I said, it’s so much more. VAIN will not leave you disappointed. I recommend completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment