Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Book Review - Taking Chances (Taking Chances #1) by Molly McAdams


4 Dramatic Stars

This will be a hard review for me because there are a lot of elements in Taking Chances I have personal issues with. So please note, these are personal issues and this is my personal opinion.

Here we go…

A lot of people recommended Taking Chances to me. However, my girlfriend read it and DNF.  I asked her why and she basically told me what happened up until the 50% mark. So I have been putting it off for a very long time. I don’t know why I decided to pick up, maybe because I am a masochist or my morbid curiosity? What-ever the reason, I needed to know what happens in the end.


Taking Chances is not a typical book. It’s not cookie cutter, it’s raw, it’s emotional and you will make you cry like a baby. No, there’s not a “chance” you will cry, it’s a definite, 100% you will need tissues and valium to finish reading.

Seriously...

Taking Chances is about Harper, the Heroine and two Heroes, Chase and Brandon.   This is their love story. It’s not typical, but sometimes shit happens.


Let’s get my first issue out, I do not like love triangles when it’s between an indecisive girl and two great Heroes. I need one of the Heroes to be a villain and I didn’t get that. You will fall in love with both men.  Chase is the bad-boy player and Brandon is the perfect bring-him-home-meet-the-parents kind of guy.  I wavered between Chase and Brandon throughout the read.  I couldn’t pin-point who I wanted more and Harper didn’t make it any easier.

This is where my review will become spoiler-ish. I will not give away the main event, but I have to point this out because I do not like this issue.  So, do not continue to read if you want a spoiler-free review.

I do not like cheating. I hardly like a book that has cheating, it’s very rare and when I realized this is pure bluntly cheating, I cringed … major. I have to like the Heroine in some aspects and I just didn’t understand Harper or her issues.  I felt like she was just having the best of both worlds. I couldn’t relate.

And there is the “EVENT” as I like to call it.  I knew about this, I was waiting for it throughout the read and I didn’t realize it would be at the 60% mark before I got there and oh boy, even though I was prepared, it just gutted me. I couldn’t comprehend the shift in the book. I was thinking there has to be a reason why it’s going in this direction, HAS.TO.BE.


Again, seriously... My emotions towards the read...



The rest of the 40% is cleaning up and when I got to the ending, I was left waiting for something more, like a climatic-ending.

I gave Taking Chances 4 stars because I’ll give Molly props for a dramatic story, despite my issues.  I did find some parts dragging and the story a bit long.  I think if she had the “event” at the 30% mark, made Harper a little less wishy-washy, cut out about 100 pages and gave me a dramatic ending, this could have been easily a 5 star read. I get the rave reviews and I get the disappointed ones. I feel like I’m in the middle.

I haven’t decided if I want to read Stealing Harper, but for now it’s on my list and I will continue to read McAdam’s reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment