Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Maybe This Time (Maybe, #1) by Chantal Fernando


Moving in with my half-brother Xander, I had no idea what to expect. But nothing could have prepared me for this. My brother’s friends are wild, protective, secretive, always around. And drop dead gorgeous. Out of all of them, there's something about Reid Knox. Brooding, temperamental, guarded… And I want him more than anything I have ever wanted in my life. 

3.5 Adorable Stars

A few reasons why I picked up Maybe This Time are: the blurb, the author and I wanted to lick the cover. Yup! If I want to lick the cover, you can bet, I will want to read the book.

I think the author is cute, sweet and adorable. I wanted this to be a home-run for me, because I can smell the alpha-male coming from the pages, BUT there were a few things that I had a problem with. Mostly it’s a personal issue, but I will explain more in detail later.

BUT do not write-off the author, I see greater and steamy, tension filled reads coming our way.

So, there’s Summer and she has a brother, Xander, who has friends, Reid and Reid has a twin brother Ryan.  THERE IS NO LOVE TRIANGLE! YAY!!!!  I kind of like a strong Heroine with a bunch of over-protective male characters. It’s just too cute!  Xander and Ryan treat Summer like their sister.  Summer and Reid have some nice sexual tension, oh man, you fill it a mile away.

I would caution readers and note Maybe This Time reminds me a lot like Beautiful Disaster, with a similar-ish story line, character and phrases. NOT completely the same, just mirrors a few elements. This did not bother me, I love BD so, I’m for anything that is like the book.

There are a few things that didn’t work for me…

I’m not a fan of short reads, but I do read them and I don’t judge my rating based on the length, however I think the book wasn’t long enough to build on character development. As much as I love the tension between Reid and Summer, I felt the last 30% was a bit rushed.

My issue... oh my little issue.  If you have been following my reviews, you know I have a hard limit. It’s something that is very difficult for me to get pass, I actually started to tell authors I can’t read books with this because it will be hard for me to give a high review. Anyhow, yup, it happened and oh boy, that was enough for me.  I was very close to not finishing, but I had to see how it ended.

Because of this, I do not like Reid. I didn’t find anything redeeming about him. Oh and don’t get me wrong, I LOVE damaged Heroes, but to me, he was weak, a bit insensitive and all around too emotionally reactive.  He needed to reel it in and really look at the big picture (in my opinion).

I know we all love the brute, the alpha male, the sexy Hero, but sometimes, extending the story a bit and toning down the typical characteristics, really do help the story.  I loved Summer, she was a bit typical.  She had an awesome support system and I sympathized with her struggles.   I liked Reid in the beginning, but in the end, he pissed me off.

So, book 2, will be about Ryan and there’s a little excerpt in the end.  Will I read it? HECK YEAH!!! I’m excited.  I know my above review was less than glowing, but I know the author has the backings of a really epic and great read.  I’m a full supporter and you should too.


Purchase
933897_334070693391649_276626158_n

Chantal Fernando is 26, a mother of three beautiful little boys and lives in Western Australia. Chase is her debut novel, followed by Kade, Ryder, James and Maybe This Time.She is currently working on a few other projects.

Facebook | Goodreads

1377445_378677415597643_88344750_n

No comments:

Post a Comment