Sunday, June 7, 2015

Courtship of the Cake (Much "I Do" About Nothing #2) by Jessica Topper [Review]


From the author of Dictatorship of the Dress comes a new novel about a woman who’s vowed to never walk down the aisle—and the two men who’ll do anything to get her to say “I do”…


“Always a bridesmaid, never a bride” has suited Danica James just fine…until the mysterious man who crashed her sister’s wedding steals her heart, leaves a slice of groom’s cake under her pillow, and then disappears.

Hoping to forget her unforgettable fling, Dani takes a job as a backstage masseuse for a rock music festival, not expecting the tour’s headlining bad boy to make an offer she can’t refuse. Nash Drama needs a fiancée—and fast…

Mick Spencer is the best wedding cake designer in New Hope and the town’s most eligible bachelor. But despite the bevy of bridesmaids he’s sampled, Mick can’t get the evening he spent with Dani out of his mind.

So when she shows up for a cake tasting at the Night Kitchen—with his former best friend’s ring on her finger—Mick vows to charm the woman of his dreams into choosing a sweet and sinful ever after, with him… 

3 Who to Pick Stars


Courtship of the Cake is a standalone and is part of the Much “I Do” About Nothing series.  I’m reading this series out of order (something new I’m doing) and completely random.

This is Danica and Nash and **GASP** Mick story.

So it’s a love triangle (sort of) storyline and we all know where I stand on these. I have major issues with love triangles, so just note that’s my personal preference.

This book reads in different parts (to me). I felt like the first half of the book is about Nash and the second half of the book is about Mick.  Dani is a masseuse and she works at a rock music festival massaging people. Nash is a rocker bad boy. He likes sex and he likes women. He also has a messed up body. No, he doesn’t use drugs, but he has a lot of kinks and Dani is the one to work them out.
Dani and Nash’s relationship isn’t really typical. It’s completely a friendship relationship, even though Nash flirts with her like crazy so there could be something there? You will just have to read and find out. I really liked the parts with Dani and Nash. I found Nash the bad boy I crave and love to read. He’s so into himself, he needs a girl like Dani, calling him out and putting him in his place.
Like I said, during the second part of the book it shifts and I actually had to flip backwards and re-read some chapters because I felt like I was reading a different book. It went from rocker vibe to cute “wedding” theme. Mick is a cake designer and he’s the best of what he does. When Dani and Nash come back into town, they run into Mick.

Mick and Dani had a wild night one night and ever since then Dani has been holding major grudges against Mick. It took me a bit to figure out the relationship between Mick and Dani. There is crazy sexual tension, but not everything is revealed, so I had to pay attention to the flash back scenes.
I liked the parts with Nash and Dani so much I was kind of thrown off by Mick. I guess I wanted Mick to be part of the story in the beginning.  Courtship of the Cake is cute, but the romance is lacking. Yes there are some flirting scenes and yes there’s sex, but I didn’t get the butterfly scenes you know? The ones where you are like “oh-my-god-they-kissed” and you clap your hands and jump for joy. Of course not every book needs this.

Courtship of the Cake has some mild tension with a unique, cake/rocker theme that is appealing. Take a chance, you just never know.
An ARC was provided


 Dictatorship of the Dress - http://amzn.to/1Fdv41c

Courtship of the Cake - http://amzn.to/1IXSttK


Jessica Topper is an ex-librarian turned rock n' roll number cruncher. She can trace her love for the written word back to age three, when she memorized Maurice Sendak's "Chicken Soup with Rice" in its entirety.
After her daughter was born, Jessica left the Manhattan library world and began working for her husband's music management company. He offered her a part-time bookkeeping job so she could "stay home for the baby's first year" and pursue her dream of writing.
The baby is now thirteen, and Jessica has been working her full-time, sold-her-soul-for-rock-n-roll job as Office Manager for veteran jam band moe. ever since. She may have traded in books for bookkeeping, but the written word is never far from her mind, or her heart.
Jessica lives in upstate New York with her husband, daughter and one ancient cat. You can visit her at www.jessicatopper.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment