Thursday, October 13, 2016

Devil in Winter (Wallflowers #3) by Lisa Kleypas [Review]


A Devil's Bargain



Easily the shyest Wallflower, Evangeline Jenner stands to become the wealthiest, once her inheritance comes due. Because she must first escape the clutches of her unscrupulous relatives, Evie has approached the rake Viscount St. Vincent with a most outrageous proposition: marriage!

Sebastian's reputation is so dangerous that thirty seconds alone with him will ruin any maiden's good name. Still, this bewitching chit appeared, unchaperoned, on his doorstep to offer her hand. Certainly an aristocrat with a fine eye for beauty could do far worse.


But Evie's proposal comes with a condition: no lovemaking after their wedding night. She will never become just another of the dashing libertine's callously discarded broken hearts--which means Sebastian will simply have to work harder at his seductions...or perhaps surrender his own heart for the very first time in the name of true love.




5 Surprising Stars
I haven’t read a historical romance in forever. I would say it’s been maybe four years. When I started to read romance books, historical romances were the first books I started to read. I loved them and I’m happy to say I’m going to go back to them.


Before you say, I don’t think historical romances are for me, you need to give it a go. Devil in Winter, to my surprise was an amazing read. From the first page I loved it and I couldn’t stop reading until I was finished. The only way I could describe a historical romance book is that it’s all about the ROMANCE!


I’m also a mega fan of Lisa Kleypas and she did it again. She created a very romantic read especially for book lovers like me.


Evangeline is rich, but she’s also very quirky. She’s shy and quiet and men don’t fall to their knees to be with her. And she’s fine with that, sort of. She’s in a compromising situation. Her father is dying and she needs to marry before her inheritance goes to her evil cousins.


Usually I don’t go for the rich Heroine falling in love with the poor soul, but I loved Evangeline, if I had to compare her to the modern day girl, I would say she’s the rich nerdy girl in school being abused by her evil distant family. She wants to marry a husband she can use for title only and then travel to spend time with her dying father.


Sebastian only cares about one person and it’s himself. He has the title, but he doesn’t have the money. His father spent it all and Evangeline offers him something he can’t refuse, money. If Sebastian marries Evangeline she is willing to give almost all of her fortune to him as long as she can go see her father.


I really love the relationship between Sebastian and Evangeline. Sebastian is what we know as today as the bad boy. He’s a player and he’s conceited. Even though he’s very considerate of Evangeline, he’s still selfish and I tell you, I gobbled this up like mad. I really liked the interaction between Sebastian and Evangeline because there is so much tension!


They struggle throughout the marriage, but it’s a sweet adorable struggle you can’t help but smile as you read. They have this playful banter I really enjoyed.


The thing I really enjoyed most was that it was a historical romance. I love the carriage rides, the petty coats and old world traditions. It’s just a different world.


I highly recommend Devil in Winter, it’s the perfect read for the current season.

An ARC was provided





LISA KLEYPAS is the RITA award-winning author of 21 novels. Her books are published in fourteen languages and are bestsellers all over the world. She lives in Washington State with her husband and two children.


Written as an...



No comments:

Post a Comment