Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Pawn (Endgame #1) by Skye Warren [Review]

The price of survival…

Gabriel Miller swept into my life like a storm. He tore down my father with cold retribution, leaving him penniless in a hospital bed. I quit my private all-girl’s college to take care of the only family I have left.

There’s one way to save our house, one thing I have left of value.

My virginity.

A forbidden auction…

Gabriel appears at every turn. He seems to take pleasure in watching me fall. Other times he’s the only kindness in a brutal underworld.

Except he's playing a deeper game than I know. Every move brings us together, every secret rips us apart. And when the final piece is played, only one of us can be left standing.

4 Play Me Stars
I haven’t read a Skye Warren book for some time now. I’m slapping myself in the face and questioning why? The Pawn is a saucy seductive enticing read any romance reader will enjoy.
What first attracted me to this book is the blurb. A virgin auctioning herself to help pay for her father’s medical expenses. Yes please!

Avery is a good girl. She was a rich girl, but now she is poor. She only has her father, who is now almost on his death bed barely functioning. The only thing she has left is the house her father built for her mother. She will do anything to keep that house. I love my damsels.

She’s nineteen super unexperienced. The only thing she has of value is her virginity. You can’t help but feel for Avery and try to give the poor girl a hug. Her father had some shady deals and now Avery is paying the price, but at what cost?

Gabriel is very rich and he didn’t expect to bid on Avery, but there’s something about her that he wants. He just doesn’t want Avery’s virginity, but her mind, body and soul. Gabriel is kind of complicated, but he isn’t ruthless. There were soft sides to him and there were moments he pushed back and it made the book really interesting.

Let’s just say there was awesome chemistry between Gabriel and Avery. The thing I really enjoyed about this book is that Gabriel kind of tortures Avery by keeping her guessing when he will pursue her. I like that a lot because it made me glued to the pages and I never knew when he would pounce.
I also like that Gabriel had a hand in Avery’s current situation. We don’t know the exact reason, but I like guessing. There’s plenty of drama with a crazy Uncle and the father’s health situation. I was kept on my toes.

Overall, The Pawn was an enjoyable read. I was engaged, entertained and happy.

An ARC was provided



Other Books

AMAZON | AUDIO REVIEW



No comments:

Post a Comment