Friday, October 6, 2017

Gun Shy by Lili St. Germain

HAVE YOU SEEN THIS GIRL?
In the middle of a fierce snowstorm in Gun Creek, Nevada, a teenage girl disappears without a trace.

The second girl in nine years.

Identical cases. Identical conditions. Only last time, the girl was found. Dead, stuffed in a well beside the creek that feeds the town's water supply.

The killer was never found.

As the small town mobilizes and searches for newly vanished Jennifer Thomas, one suspect comes to the fore. But did he do it? Or is there something else at play? Something nobody could have anticipated?



For Jennifer's friend Cassie Carlino, the worst is yet to come. As she pins MISSING posters to store windows and joins the search, she begins to suspect that Jennifer's disappearance might be much closer to her than she could have ever imagined.

REVIEW

3 Very Dark Stars

It’s been awhile since I’ve read a Lili St. Germain book and from what I remember is that the books are very dramatic, dark and somewhat twisted. I’m into these books, I crave these books, but I think Lili St. Germain may have taken me out of my comfort zone a little too much.

I see the raving reviews on this book and I get it. I understand the overall idea and persona of the book, but it’s just not my cuppa.

That’s right, it’s me not you kind of book and that’s okay.

I’m giving it 3 stars because it wasn’t bad, it just didn’t jive with what I like to read.

I feel like there should be a HUGE disclaimer in the book and that this book is NOT ROMANCE. I went into this book thinking I would get a dark romance book and it’s not that at all. It’s a mystery physiological thriller. I think if I had known that, I would have a better mind set. There is a relationship between Leo and Cassie, but to me, this book isn’t romance.

There are a lot events in this book and each event is connected. A girl shows up dead. Cassie is in with Leo. Leo does something devastating and ends up in prison.

Cassie isn’t the same after that.

Cassie is not an easy Heroine to like. I wouldn’t even call her a Heroine, she’s more like an anti-Heroine. She has so many issues, it’s no wonder why this book is as long as it was. It should be noted that I’m not fond of damaged Heroines. I struggle with these kind of girls. The ones that use sex, drugs and self harm to make themselves feel. It was very difficult for me to like Cassie, but I was intrigued enough with her story to continue.

I wouldn’t consider Leo the Hero of the book either. He’s also very damaged the other POV of the book is from him. I’m not sure how I feel about him. I felt like he was dealt with a bad deck of cards, he’s the care taker of the family, his mom is a whore and he’s an ex-con. He has everything against his shoulders and at times it felt like this book was like a down-on-me book.

Cassie and Leo’s storyline are told at the same time. You will get to see the story unfold from two POV’s. The book is VERY descriptive so you get a lot of inner monologues and character buildup. It should also be noted that I’m not fond of descriptive writing. I prefer a more dialogue based book. There was plenty of action to keep me moving forward though.

I liked the second half of the book more because I felt like I was leaving all the buildup and I was getting somewhere. I was glued to the book and was wondering how everything would unfold. I’m actually fond of mystery books and this book was a complete mystery thriller.

Since I received an ARC copy I understand there would be some issues. I’m not talking grammatical because I don’t care about that, but towards the end it felt choppy and repetitive. I’m sure the final copy will be fixed and I understand I signed an agreement that editing errors would not affect my review, but to me, this was more than editing errors. I would be reading a paragraph and I would reread the same paragraph but written a little differently (as if the author was deciding which paragraph to use). It became a little distracting because it occurred to me more than once.

Overall, the issues I had with this book was more of a personal thing. The romance aspect of the book was a huge let down. I have liked dark books with zero romance, but I think because I was craving it so badly I had certain expectations when I shouldn’t (and also when I read a dark book that isn’t romance based, I’m warned prior).

Like I said, I can see how many people would love this book, the storyline was very unique, the characters are completely damaged and I liked how each event was somehow linked. So … yeah.. it’s me not you!

An ARC was provided




Lili writes dark, disturbing romance. Her #1 bestselling Gypsy Brothers series was created in a serial format – quick, intense episodes released frequently with some wicked cliffhangers. The Gypsy Brothers series focuses on a morally bankrupt biker gang and the girl who seeks her vengeance upon them. The Cartel series is a prequel trilogy of full-length novels that explores the beginnings of the club, to be released in 2015 by HarperCollins.

Lili quit corporate life to focus on writing and so far is loving every minute of it. Her other loves in life include her gorgeous husband and beautiful daughter, good coffee, Tarantino movies and spending hours on Pinterest.

She loves to read almost as much as she loves to write.




No comments:

Post a Comment