Monday, December 10, 2012

Book Review - Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration, #2) by Lia Habel

Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration, #2)Dearly, Beloved by Lia Habel
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 Stars

"No matter which way my emotions and circumstances and the impulses of my dead, dying, trying body pulled me, no matter how many mistakes I made, she was always true north.

Sometimes I’d side with the dead, sometimes with the living, but always her."
- BRAM

I don’t usually like book 2 of fantasy series, I like to call them filler books, However I was pleasantly surprised and happy with Dearly, Beloved. I liked book 1, Dearly, Departed, it was unique, somewhat confusing, but an interesting read. It was hard for me to mesh the idea of future time, plus Victorian rules, plus zombies, but it kind of worked out.

In Dearly, Beloved we roll into the Nora and Bram journey. The book is written from different POV, from Pamela to Michael to Laura and a few more. Was it necessary to have all of the POV’s? Probably not, but I enjoyed it, even though at certain points I forgot from whose POV I was reading from (probably my only complaint). Dearly, Beloved is a long book, longer than the normal young adult books I read, but yet again, it works.

I read the reviews and I understand how the book could seem dull and how there should be more Nora and Bram written, but to me, everything worked. This is no super romance book, it’s a fantasy, adventure and when you do see glimpses of Nora and Bram, it’s like a treat. I liked the fact Lia Habel didn’t really create too much tension, everything seemed to flow, but believe me there are parts where you are just edging and you don’t know what’s going to happen.

The last 100 pages, were great, very climatic and the ending was perfect. Dearly, Beloved may not be the book for everyone, but it was great for me, can’t wait for book 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment