Sunday, December 23, 2012

Book Review - Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 Stars

I absolutely loved Throne of Glass! Putting aside the silly title and cover, this book was such a great read.

I’ve read the reviews, and Throne of Glass is nothing like Grave Mercy, which is probably a good thing because I wasn’t a huge fan of Grave Mercy.

Celaena is a trained assassin, after serving a year sentence at Endovier, a crazy hard labor camp (where people die after a few months) Prince Dorian offers Celaena an offer she can’t refuse.

Celaena can compete in a competition to be the new royal assassin. If Celaena wins the competition she will have to serve a four year sentence as the royal assassin and she then will finally be free. While Celaena is competing, she is being “baby-sat” by the lead arm guard, Choal is equally as handsome as Prince Dorian.

The summary is kind of blah, I’ll admit, but call me a sucker for mild love triangles. I LOVE Choal and Dorian (although I’m more team Choal). Is Throne of Glass like Game of Thrones? No, but I didn’t think it was. Throne of Glass to me, is a mixture of Hunger Games and The Selection, which is perfect for me, because I loved both books.

I like Celaena a lot, she’s very self sufficient, yet vulnerable. I loved that Calaena is arrogant and she checks herself out in the mirror. I love the banter between Choal and Caelaena, it’s so mild and yet enough to keep you on your toes. I don’t need characters throwing themselves at each other to keep me entertained, I need just little bits of scenes that show how great slow attachments can form.

I like Throne of Glass is written from 3rd person POV because you get to know what each character is thinking. I think Dorian is fabulous; he’s arrogant, yet kind of naïve.

The book has short chapters and it remains a lot of like James Patterson books, which usually annoy me, but I think it works so well in Throne of Glass. Each chapter sets up each scene and I’m so going with the fast pace, it’s perfect.

Throne of Glass is written beautifully; there’s an equally mixture of action, fantasy, love and mystery to entice any reader. Throne of Glass a perfect mild young adult read.

I recommend Throne of Glass.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment