Monday, December 24, 2012

Book Review - The Siren by Tiffany Reisz

The Siren (The Original Sinners, #1)The Siren by Tiffany Reisz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars

I have mixed feelings with SIREN I think because I was mislead to what this book was about. I wasn’t sure if this book was light or semi-intense, but instead I got a VERY INTENSE book, which I am usually okay with, but I guess because I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to read, I was thrown kind of off.

Nora is a dirty book writer and she also has a secret side job. Zack is Nora’s editor and they work together for 6 weeks in getting Nora’s book published. I thought this book was just Zack and Nora’s story, but I was 100% wrong.

This book is not just about Zack and Nora, I don’t want to spoil the book and list the other characters, but I think it’s very important for people going into this book to know it’s Nora, Zack and 2 other side characters.

SIREN is very slow in the beginning, I was reading 100 pages into the book and was just waiting for anything to happen. Nora is an erotica writer and I want to read something! Sure, you get a little excerpts from Nora’s book, but BLAH I don’t care, even in the end, those excerpts mean something, I was still waiting for Nora and Zack to steam up.

There are a lot of long and dry parts, where you really have to skim to get through the book. Also, when the other two characters come into play, I was kind of angry, because there really wasn’t a good or bad character. Each character, including Nora has his/her faults and you as the reader couldn’t side with one person, which irked me. I wanted to side with someone and I couldn’t.

In the beginning, Nora states her book doesn’t have a happy ending and I kind of set myself up for a non-happy ending book. I just thought I would get something…. romantic, instead I got a lot of f*ed up characters and f*ed up situations and scenes.

The only reason why I didn’t rate this book lower is because towards the end, Tiffany Reisz redeems herself, I feel like Zack was opening himself up and we were learning more of what’s going on in Nora’s mind. Also, even though the writing is very descriptive and unnecessary slow, the writing is written well.

I’m going back and forth if I want to move on to book 2 and 3. I read the summary to book 2 and 3 and I am intrigued with book 3, but I don’t really want to read book 2, only because it’s about characters I don’t really care for.

In the end, I just want people to know, The Siren is not light and is very intense. Also, this is not a love/romantic book, it’s very dark and kind of messed up. Finally, this story isn’t just Nora and Zack. It’s a story of Nora and all the guys that are part of her life, some you will like, some you will hate and some you just kind of wonder why they are there.

Anyhow, if you are okay reading a semi-heated, somewhat slow, messed up intense book, then Siren may be just for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment