Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies, #1) by Tarryn Fisher

The Opportunist (Love Me With Lies, #1)The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

2.5 Stars

I really don’t understand how The Opportunist received so many good reviews. From the first chapter, I hated the book, but stuck with it because of the reviews. Now, that I have finished, I’m left with a sticky feeling and regret finishing The Opportunist

Olivia Kapsen is not your average heroine, she is severely flawed, you see bits of this in the beginning, but it’s more apparent towards the end of the book. Olivia runs into her Ex, Caleb, 3 years after they broke up, he has amnesia and doesn’t remember Olivia. Olivia takes this “opportunity” and spends time with Caleb because she still has feelings for him.

So, let’s get to it, I hate Olivia, I am all for “real” characters, not everyone is perfect, but Olivia’s lies and decent is so profound, I just couldn’t understand why people loved this book, I wanted to stop reading about Olivia and wait for another character I could read and like. It was hard to understand Caleb since the POV is from Olivia’s, I never really liked Caleb, nor did I dislike him, I suppose I just didn’t trust him.

This book is one huge drama fest of tension, lies, betrayal, crying, and fights. I hated every second of it, on top of hating it, I hated when Traryn Fisher would go back and forth from past and present time. I can’t believe this is a series, it reminds me a lot like Avoiding Commitment by K.A.Linde, another book I couldn’t stand while reading. Maybe I am a sucker for happy endings, I just feel like Olivia’s character was so horrible, how could you sympathize? There’s a book 2 told from the “other” girl’s point of view (the love triangle in this book) and I can tell you for a fact I will not read it.

The book was written well and I read it in two sittings, I am glad it was short because if it was any longer, I probably would have ripped my hair out. I can understand the story, I just can’t relate, nor do I find it my kind of reading. I will steal clear from these kinds of book, because it leaves you with nothing, but an unsettled feeling in the pit of your stomach.
I do not recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment