Saturday, February 9, 2013

Everbound (Everneath, #2) by Brodi Ashton

Everbound (Everneath, #2)Everbound by Brodi Ashton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars

His hand was in mine. I was giving him a ball of twine, just as Ariadne had done for Theseus.

I was going back and forth between 3.5 and 4 stars, but I decided to go with 3.5 because Jack really wasn’t in the book, he’s actually None Existent.

So…Everbound picks up 2 months after Jack sacrifices himself for Nikki. Nikki is very depressed and realizes she can’t save Jack on her own. Nikki begs Cole to help her get Jack back and Cole agrees.

The blurb is pretty short, because basically that is the story. The story is Nikki’s journey in finding Jack with Cole. The ONLY reason why my review will be more positive, than negative is because Ashton wrote a pretty decent read, but I will admit, my major pet-peeves were pretty much hit.

I.HATE.IT.WHEN.THE.HERO.DISAPPEARS I can’t stand “filler” books, because that’s what it is. When an author writes a second book to the series, only for the heroine spending the WHOLE time looking for her Hero, it’s been done SO many times, from Beautiful Creatures to Twilight. I don’t really understand the need for these kinds of book. I think it’s perfectly fine in having the Hero and Heroine together, but still have tension in book 2, I mean, Dearly Departed is a great example of that.

When I started to read I noticed quickly the chapter titles let me know if I was reading in the present or past (another pet peeve of mine), I.HATE.FLASHBACKS with a passion. I was groaning and waiting for the flashbacks or “memories”, but it didn’t come until 50% of the book. When we got to the flashbacks part, it wasn’t so bad, they were pretty short and most of them were memories of Nikki and Jack, so in all honesty I have little complaints, just something I noticed.

I like Nikki and I like reading the whole book from her POV, so I didn’t mind there wasn’t Jack’s POV. I think that would have irritated me because I didn’t want to read his struggles. I never liked Cole, probably because he was the villain in book 1, Everneath, however you kind of see a different side of Cole in Everbound, which in all honesty pissed me off because I am team Jack all the way, but for Cole fans, they should be happy.

So, book 1 leaves off on a major cliff-hanger, which I can’t even describe how PISSED off I was. I didn’t think there would be a major cliff-hanger in book 2 and there wasn’t. I would say Everbound ends and we get a glimpse of book 3’s plot. With that said, I have higher expectations for the next one and will put it on my to-reads list.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment