Sunday, February 10, 2013

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2) by Tahereh Mafi




4 Stars

I want you…

I want all of you…

I want you inside and out and catching your breath and aching for me like I ache for you

OMG, What.Did.I.Just.Read?!!!

DAMN YOU CLIFF-HANGERS…. NOO!!!!

Unravel Me pretty much picks up from book 1, Shatter Me and I’ll admit, the first 30% is pretty slow. Juliette and Adam are still underground and with side-kick buddy Kenji. Everyone is working together in the resistance. There is some tension between Juliette and Adam as new discoveries are revealed with Adam. Then of course we have Warner, who never really went away.

I applaud Mafi for keeping the Juliette and Adam tension alive, also I am so glad no one really leaves, because book 2 of series are notorious for that. My only complaint, I wanted more Juliette and Adam interaction, or maybe cut the book about 30% shorter.

In the beginning we realize something is off with Adam and it’s pretty much apparent fairly quickly and alright, I accept it, not everything can be perfect. Yes, Juliette frustrates me at times. She cries too much and is really indecisive, but the girl can’t touch anyone, so I sympathize.

For a moment I thought there would be a love triangle with Kenji, but thank goodness, he’s just a quirky side-kick character, who kind of grounds Juliette and let’s admit it, he fills in the Juliette-and-Adam gaps, I’m on to you Mafi!

A little over half the book, Warner comes back and I was kind of wondering where he went all this time, I mean, I KNEW he would be back, but I didn’t think it was necessary to write him in so much towards the end. I actually liked Warner in Shatter Me, I guess I have a soft spot for men in power. Most of the interaction with Warner is between Juliette, so if you are expecting crazy jealously from Adam, you don’t get it. If anything, I believe Mafi is introducing Warner’s story (sort of) and I like this a lot.

I went back and forth between 3.5 and 4 stars, but the last 20% made me bump up my rating. There’s plenty of fight, death, action, and “X-Men” kind of like scenes. So, overall, you are kept on your toes.

At 30% I was snoring a little

At 50% I was swooning for Adam

At 75% I got a little nervous and curious

At 85% my HEART.WAS.RACING

At 99% I was screaming NOO!!!!!

I just can’t believe the ending, but I am satisfied, just a little shocked and counting down the days for book 3.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment