Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Find you in the Dark (Find you in the dark, #1) by Meredith A. Walters



4 Stars

WOW…. That was C.R.A.Z.Y.!!!

I think I need to take a break and walk around my house for a little bit and calm the F down.

Sometimes, love can’t make everything better, and the best thing for everyone is to walk away

Maggie is your typical 17 year-old teenager, she has best-friends and great parents, but really nothing goes on in her life, until the new kid shows up at school. Clay is the mysterious new guy, who is a loner and Maggie is just too intrigued to leave Clay alone, despite Clay’s cool attitude.

The blurb/summary was okay right? The summary didn’t really give you anything, so I had to read the reviews and when I glanced over words like “Bi-Polar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Depression” and “Cutting”, I’ll admit, I cringed a little. I’m not a big fan of reading fictional books relating to mental issues BUT with all the rave reviews and I was promised for an emotional ride, I went along.

To say FIND YOU IN THE DARK was a little emotional would be an understatement, it was down right….

OMG…SLAP.YOURSELF.IN.THE.FACE… WHAT IS HAPPENING, CRAZY-TOWN, EMTIONAL
Do you get the picture here?

First off, I love reading high school books where the scene is actually set in a high school, call me nostalgic, but I get a warm feeling reading about classrooms and teachers, so props to Walters. Also, I am a HUGE fan of title references. If I read a book and the title is referenced, especially a few times but explained in different ways, I get a HUGE SMILE on my face. Walters does that many times and it was wonderful to read those parts.

So on with review…

Maggie is what I like to describe as a little self-absorbed, bratty, selfish, blind, irrational, yet caring and sweet. She really isn’t THAT bad, she just acts like a typical teenager crazy in “love”. I really liked Walter’s depiction of the leading Heroine. Even though most of the emotional turmoil is related to Clay, Maggie has her “crazy” moments.

I enjoyed Maggie’s POV, I think if I had both Clay and Maggie’s POV, it would have been too much for me. It was actually interesting to read how Maggie rationalizes everything and I know, I hate narrative writing, but for once, I enjoyed it.

”His fingers felt warm through my shirt and my mind drifted to some very dirty thoughts of his fingers touching me in other places. Wow, I was turning into a tart”

Clay is CRAY CRAY, yep, I used slang; it’s the only way I could describe him. Like I said, it’s hard for me to read characters with mental disorders; I guess a lot of readers take it close to home? I try to take it for what it is and understand I am reading a story.

So, with all that aside, I have to say I enjoyed reading Clay. Even though, I love well-rounded characters, every once in awhile, I get fuzzy feelings with your no- so-perfect-Hero. Clay IS.NOT.PERFECT. in fact, if he ever showed interest in my daughter, I would be locking her up for good.

Yes, Clay is obsessive, irrational, emotional, EXTREME, impulsive, but hey it’s a character right? I’m all for this.

I actually enjoyed the beginning of the story. I love character development was enjoying Maggie and Clay’s relationship form. I even enjoyed the back and forth banter in the middle. Here is where I disagree with most reviewers… I wasn’t fond of the crazy roller-coaster climatic middle-end part (about last 25%). It was just TOO MUCH.

Also, my pet-peeve is the prologue. I HATE it when writers open with the ending scene. I wished I skipped the prologue.

I respect the intensity of everything and Find you in the Dark really was what I was looking for. You question why Maggie puts up with so much crap, but you can’t help but LOVE Clay and sympathize for Maggie. I am sure all of us can find ourselves in a situation where someone hurts you and you don’t want to forgive them, but you LOVE THEM SO MUCH, you put those past actions aside, even though it doesn’t fix anything.

This book isn’t for everyone, it’s for those who have been in dysfunctional relationships who can relate or people who just enjoy reading two crazy people in love.

It’s your choice on the matter, to me, it was a fun, yet emotional read and I’m moving on to book 2, Light in the Shadows


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment