Sunday, March 17, 2013

Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1) by J Kenner



4 Stars

… I want you baby. I’m not weak, either. Why would I want a woman who is?

I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Release Me, considering how much the market is saturated with Fifty Shades and Bared to you knock offs. I’ll admit when I read the blurb and read Release Me was for the Fifty Shades and Bared to you fans, I cringed a little. I mean, yeah it’s obvious, but you don’t have to tell me that.

I am not sure why I picked Release Me as my next read. I think it’s a combination of picking a random book off of my tablet and liking the cover… and boy I am glad I did.

[Summary]

Niki is your typical BDSM Heroine, she’s gorgeous (but doesn’t really see herself like that), smart, funny and even though she has a decent job (b/c she has a skill), it’s not enough to be financially comfortable. Damien is your typical BDSM Hero, he’s attractive, controlling, dominate and ridiculously rich and has one goal in mind, to obtain Niki.

So the blurb is pretty typical, but what makes Release Me so enjoyable is the execution.

[Niki]

I liked Niki, I thought she was an all-around likable American gal. I liked how ballsy she could be at times and then really emotional. I am all for strong girls, but I always have a soft spot for damaged girls needing to be rescued. I wouldn’t say her issues were any secret, but it was nice to have them slowly uncovered (or at least Niki slowly uncover them) throughout the story.

Everyone breaks a little sometimes. That doesn’t make you weak. It makes you wounded.

[Damien]

Damien is an enjoyable character to read. He’s everything a dominate Hero should be. He knows what he wants and goes for it. He’s always in control in almost every situation and he’s always two steps ahead. I like his reaction to Niki because even during her once in a while emotional outbursts Damien remains level–headed and lets Niki go through her tantrums.

Niki and Damien’s relationship is a bit forced at times. I kind of question some of the back and forth banter/dialogue, but overall it works. This wasn’t enough for me to be upset, it just needs to be polished a bit more. I love Damien’s over the top gestures and I actually like Niki accepting her gifts with little to no fuss. If I had to read one more book, where the girl has to “pay-her-way” I am going to vomit. This was a nice change.

[Overall]

Of course there’s more to Release Me than steamy scenes. Both Damien and Niki have issues and both try to help each other with past pains. This made me feel like the story had more than one layer. Even though there were some choppy parts, the flow of the writing was really good. I never came across an annoying situation or wanted to put the book down. On top of everything else, there was plenty of tension to keep me interested.

Maybe this man does have secrets and skeletons. But right now, I’m seeing his heart. And I like what I see.

I wasn’t sure of the ending because I knew there’s another book, but I am glad to announce there is NO CLIFF-HANGER ENDING!!! Thank you J. Kenner, you are my Hero!!! The story does end, but there’s enough of an opening to lead to book 2, so with all of that said, I am 100% will be moving forward with Claim Me

I recommend.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment