Saturday, September 28, 2013

Book Review - Rule (Marked Men #1) by Jay Crownover


4 Finally Finding Yourself Stars

Shaw loved Rule from the first moment she saw him, but never had the courage to do anything about it.  Rule just thought Shaw was a pest that was always hanging around his family.  He never cared for Shaw, but only that she was a fixture in his family dynamics.  Weekly Shaw drives Rule to see his parents to have Sunday brunch despite the weekly occurrences, they have little to no interaction with each other, until Rule visits Shaw at work and see's her in an entirely different light because of Shaw's revealing uniform.

So the summary is kind of a glimpse of the read, but it's not entirely the story line.  This book definitely falls under the two lost souls searching for something ... comfort, acceptances, happiness, you name it, story line.


I looked at her, I mean really looked at her and that slippery stuff in my chest suddenly settled right in the center.

The beginning started out with a bang for me.  It starts off with Rule waking up from a one-night stand and oh boy he's mean man whore.  He simply has no regard for the opposite sex nor for anyone else for the matter.  Yes, he has tattoos, piercings and **GASP** he's a tattoo artist as well.  Okay, so I'm a sucker for these bad boys. I like the tats, I like the whole "I don't give a fuck about you" personality, so right now I'm liking the read.

Shaw is adorable and you really don't understand her discomfort at first, because the first chapter is in Rule's POV.  She seems like this stuck-up snobby bitch and I LOVE IT!  I like the whole prissy girl crushing on the bad boy.  It's the two opposites attract vibe that really draws me in.


The banter is great, it's witty, kind of cute and you just want to scream at Rule to notice Shaw and yes is it typical that once you put a hooker outfit on a girl and all of sudden she will get noticed. But what ever I LIKED IT!

There's a lot that goes on in this book because there are a lot of issues.  You have Shaw's issues with her parents, who want her to date Gabe. Gabe comes from an affluent family and even though Shaw has her reservations, she can't stand up to her parents.  Then you have Rule, mister I-have-a-chip-on-my-shoulder Hero.  He's dealing with past issues and a disruptive family. So you feel for both of these characters.

 Now this is where the story fell a little flat for me.  AND I know there are a lot of readers who will disagree because this book is loved by lots, so again, this is my completely personal opinion.

I like the damsel in distress story line and I like the alpha male Hero, BUT somewhere, maybe around the 70% mark, it didn't quite jive with me.  I am not sure what it was. I think I was a little irritated with Rule and then Shaw's reaction towards Rule. Maybe I just didn't agree with the shift in the book and like I said, I can see how people loved this.

Overall, it's a story about two broken people, trying to just figure shit out. I really do enjoy these reads and Jay Crownover did a nice job.  

Rating - 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment