Monday, August 18, 2014

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Ugly LoveUgly Love by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 Flyin’ High Stars

First off let me say this…



YEP! I JUST.DO.NOT.GET.IT

I can tell you that you will either LOVE this story or be like me and be left a little puzzled and wondering what the book was REALLY about.

Disclaimer - >

I love CoHo books, but I’ve been disappointed with the last few. Do I have high expectations? Maybe. There are a few things I do not like to read in a book, these things are:

1 Love Triangles

2 Flashbacks

3 Stories that jump from past to present THROUGH OUT the entire book

And …. Ugly Love had this… okay maybe number 1 is debatable, but I will explain what I mean.
What worked for me

I love CoHo’s writing style. It’s engaging, it’s polished, it’s just top notch in my opinion. No matter what she writes, I’m always intrigued and engrossed. Her books are the type of books I can read in one sitting.

What didn’t work for me

THE SEX I know, you are probably rolling your eyes and thinking, what are you talking about? Well my friends, I like a steamy read, but when I pick up a CoHo book I don’t think of them as “steamy”, yes she writes nice steamy scenes, but they are all necessary and there is a point.

Ugly Love had too much sex for my taste. I just couldn’t get past the random sex scenes and some have mention how “steamy” some are, but I didn’t find anything that interesting.

The LOVE TRIANGLE… SORT OF

The story is written in two POV’s. Tate is written in present form and Mile’s is written in past form. Mile’s is hung up on his ex, Rachel. (this is no spoiler, you will find this out within the first chapter). Can you imagine reading a book where half of it is about the Hero hung up on his ex? I consider this a love triangle and I had NO INTEREST in it.

Which leads me to the next issue…

There is no chemistry between Tate and Miles

Because half of the book is about Miles hung up on Rachel, I couldn’t feel a connection with Miles and Tate. I felt like Tate was just a lap puppy. She was willing to take anything Miles threw at her and I’m thinking to myself, what girl would put up with that? Yes, us as the reader know what’s up with Miles, but Tate doesn’t know that and I felt like she gave too much slack.

Too Heavy

I’m over how “heavy” CoHo books are. Yes, she writes some dramatic reads, that make you want to “cry”, but when I know that coming into a book, it’s like… oh okay, what’s gonna happen? I kind of figured it out before it happened and yes it kind of messed with my reading experience.

Overall

I didn’t dislike Ugly Love, despite my rant, but I didn’t fall in love with it like everyone else. I didn’t like the story line and I couldn’t get sucked in with the characters. I had too many issues with so many things and this was simply NOT FOR ME.

Ugly Love by Colleen HooverAMAZON

No comments:

Post a Comment