Friday, May 29, 2015

Fighting for Flight (Fighting, #1) by JB Salsbury [Audio Review]

 
What happens when in order to win, you’re forced to lose?


The only daughter of an infamous Las Vegas pimp, Raven Morretti grew up an outsider. Liberated from the neglectful home of her prostitute mother, she finds solace as a mechanic. With few friends, she’s content with the simple life. Flying under the radar is all she knows, and more than she expects.
 
Until she catches the eye of local celebrity, UFL playboy Jonah Slade.
 
Weeks away from his title fight, Jonah is determined to stay focused on everything he’s trained so hard to achieve. Undefeated in the octagon, he’s at the height of his career. But resisting Raven’s effortless allure and uncomplicated nature is a fight he can’t win.
 
Jonah trades in his bad-boy reputation and puts his heart on the line. But when her father contacts her, setting in motion the ugly truth of her destiny, Jonah must choose. In a high-stakes gamble where love and freedom hang in the balance, a war is waged where the price of losing is a fate worse than death.
 
Will the hotheaded Jonah be able to restrain his inner fighter to save the woman he loves?
Or will Raven be forced into a life she’s been desperate to avoid?
 
 
4 Worth Fighting Stars
 
First off, Fighting for Flight starts out with a BAM and I was instantly drawn into the story. I couldn’t stop reading. JB Salsbury knows how to set-up the story. I felt like it really established the tone and pace for the read. I knew it would be slightly intense and steamy.
 
Raven doesn’t have the best parents. Her mom is a prostitute and her dad is a famous Las Vegas Pimp. Raven is twenty years old and works a mechanic. I really liked Raven. I found her character unique, sassy and strong. I didn’t know how a Heroine working as a mechanic would work for me, but it completely did. I found it cute reading her gushing over cars.
 
Raven is a character and you just feel for. She lives on her own and doesn’t really have friends. Because she doesn’t have the best parents, she’s shy, timid and doesn’t really go out. Jonah has money and is famous. Because Jonah is so high up, women use him for connections and therefore he doesn’t think the best of them.
 
Jonah is a famous fighter and has a car he needs restored. Raven goes to Jonah’s house daily to restore his car. Jonah is a player and doesn’t have sex with the same woman twice, but there’s something about Raven that might change his ways. Jonah is SUPER alpha. I love how determined he is. I love that he doesn’t play games and when he sees something he wants he goes for it. He’s apprehensive at first when he meets Raven because he’s never slept with the same woman twice and he’s scared that if he sleeps with Raven then he will lose interest.
 
I gobbled up the relationship between Jonah and Raven. I loved how they meet and I love every interaction. Jonah invites Raven to a pool party and Raven doesn’t want to seem needy and Jonah tries desperately to stay away from Raven, but of course everyone is checking Raven out. And it gets Jonah kind of jealous. It’s really adorable.
 
The relationship between Raven and Jonah form fairly quickly and I would call it insta-connection. There’s plenty of steam and tension to keep you going. I really liked Jonah’s friends. They are funny and add a little something to the story. We will see more of them in future books.
More stuff happens and Jonah puts himself in the situation where he has to protect Raven. Yes, I love it too!
 
Flight for Flight is about Jonah and Raven’s relationship and the obstacles Raven must face when her past slowly starts to resurface. It’s a dramatic read, with slight tension and a fighting theme.
 
Audio Questions:
 
Where does Fighting for Flight rank among all the audiobooks you’ve listened to so far?
Fighting for Flight was an easy book to listen to, even though it’s a drama. I could listen to this in one sitting. There’s so much that goes on to keep your interest and there’s plenty of book to listen to. It was well worth the listen.
 
What other book might you compare Fighting for Flight to and why?
I would compare Fighting for Flight to Vi Keeland’s MMA Fighter series or Katy Evan’s Real series. Both series have a fighter’s theme with strong males and a slightly intense dramatic storyline.
 
Which character – as performed by Ryan West and Erin Mallon – was your favorite?
I love Erin Mallon. I think she’s one of the best female narrators. I follow her books and I thought she was the perfect Raven. I felt her emotions completely. I also love her voice transitions into other characters, especially the male ones. She does great male transitions. Her voice is light, sweet and unique.
 
This is my first Ryan West narration. I love Ryan’s voice. I found it not so deep, but definitely dominate. I could imagine Jonah completely. I thought he conveyed the emotions well and he did great female transitions. I did find his voice a bit slow at times. His pauses were a bit too long for me and so I did speed up his parts by one forth the normal rate.
 
Did you have an extreme reaction to this book? Did it make you laugh or cry?
I really enjoyed Fighting for Flight. I thought the cover and story was unique. I loved the intro and it was the perfect tone to set for the rest of the book. I was immersed in the story and I felt like I connected to the characters.
 
SERIES
 
 
Fighting for Flight #1 - AMAZON - FREE (KINDLE) $1.99 (AUDIO)
Fighting to Forgive #2 - REVIEW - AMAZON
Fighting to Forget #3 - REVIEW - AMAZON
Fighting the Fall #4 - AMAZON
A Father's Fight #5 - AMAZON
Fighting for Forever #6 - To Be Release June 23rd - Pre-Order AMAZON


I got to meet JB Salsbury at RT Convention in Dallas and it was my first time. She's so gorgeous, sweet and I could tell she had so much passion for her series. I told her I was an audio fan and I was excited about her series in audio. She said she loved picking her narrators and I loved that she was a part of that process. More book signing photos - HERE
 
 

  J.B. Salsbury, New York Times Best Selling author of the Fighting series, lives in Phoenix, Arizona with her husband and two kids. She spends the majority of her day as a domestic engineer. But while she works through her daily chores, a world of battling alphas, budding romance, and impossible obstacles claws away at her subconscious, begging to be released to the page.
 
Her love of good storytelling led her to earn a degree in Media Communications. With her journalistic background, writing has always been at the forefront, and her love of romance prompted her to sink her free time into novel writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment