Monday, July 13, 2015

Ruin and Rule (Pure Corruption MC, #1) by Pepper Winters [Review]




"We met in a nightmare. The in-between world where time had no power over reason. We fell in love. We fell hard. But then we woke up. And it was over . . ."

RUIN & RULE

She is a woman divided. Her past, present, and future are as twisted as the lies she's lived for the past eight years. Desperate to get the truth, she must turn to the one man who may also be her greatest enemy . . .

He is the president of Pure Corruption MC. A heartless biker and retribution-deliverer. He accepts no rules, obeys no one, and lives only to reap revenge on those who wronged him. And now he has stolen her, body and soul.

Can a woman plagued by mystery fall in love with the man who refuses to face the truth? And can a man drenched in darkness forgo his quest for vengeance-and finally find redemption?
"Ruin & Rule is a full-length book at 436 pages and ends on a cliffhanger. Cleo and Kill's story continues in SIN & SUFFER."


4 Angst Filled Stars
A few years ago, I remember seeing a teaser on my FB newsfeed. It was about a girl being kidnapped. I have never heard of the author, but she was trying to launch her debut book. Who would have thought she would be a NYT best seller published sensation.
It’s so crazy watching an author’s career go from start-up to stardom.  I’m so happy for all of Pepper’s success and I’m a fan for life. I haven’t read her books since the first Debt book. So I do feel like a somewhat neglected boyfriend. I was really happy when I found out she had a completely new series out.
I couldn’t wait to devour this baby.
And devour I did. I ate it up and ate and ate. My belly is very full and I have a feeling everyone is going to sink their teeth into this one.
First off, let me say, one word to describe this book is ANGST!!!!  It’s that A word. You know the one that makes you pull-your-hair-out and slap-the-characters-silly word. It’s not my favorite cuppa. I know, slap me now. I like the slight mild tension books, not the throw-your-kindle-across the room ones. BUT I love Pepper and there’s something about the way she writes that just completely consumes me.
I would suggest going into this blindly. That is how I read all of Pepper’s books. Let’s just say Ruin and Rule reminds me of Nine Minutes by Beth Flynn, but with K.A. Linde’s angst. It is also very suspenseful and mysterious.
The book starts off with our Heroine and she doesn’t have her memory. We as the reader do not know who she is and what has happened in her past. All we know is that she is in a bad situation and it’s only going to get worst.
Then there’s the Hero. He’s president of the MC and if you ever love to hate a hero, then he is your guy. You know Tony from Consequences? You know how much everyone loved to hate him, yup this is exactly what I am talking about.
The relationship between the Hero and Heroine isn’t easy to read. It’s very real, raw and filled with tension. You will be pulling your hair out and gobbling up the pages trying to figure out what is going on. A lot of who the Heroine is plays into the plot and as you read, more will be uncovered and the book gets super intense.
“The moment we met, you pulled a blindfold off me in the middle of death and battle”
The first 50% is the hardest for me to read. I was going crazy with the characters and I just wanted to figure out what was going on. It’s really addictive. The Hero is so cruel you wonder if there will be any redeeming qualities. I won’t let you know, you will just have to read and find out.
The book shifts at the second half and everything just goes into overdrive. More of the Hero’s past is uncovered and it’s nice to have some insight. This part felt like Nine Minutes to me because I felt like everyone was linked somehow and everyone played a role. You really don’t know who is who or what their motives are. It will leave your head spinning, but in a good way.
I know a lot of readers will be consumed by this series. How could you not? It easily sucks you into this dark rabbit hole with intense angst, passionate scenes and dirty deeds.
Pepper Winter fans will be tickled and delighted. Bravo. 

An ARC was provided

We met in a nightmare.

The in-between world where time had no power over rhyme, reason, or connection. We met. We stared. We knew.

There was no distortion from the outside world. No right or wrong. No confusion or battles from hearts and minds.

Just us. In our silent dreamworld.

That nightmare became our home. Planting ghosts, raising fantasies. Entwined together in our happily skewed reality.

We fell in love. We fell hard.

In those fleeting seconds of our nightmare, we lived an eternity.
But then we woke up.

And it was over.



Other Books by Pepper Winters
 

Monster in the Dark Series REVIEW | AMAZON
Destroyed REVIEW | AMAZON
INDEBTED #1 REVIEW | AMAZON (FREE)


Pepper Winters wears many roles. Some of them include writer, reader, sometimes wife. She loves dark, taboo stories that twist with your head. The more tortured the hero, the better, and she constantly thinks up ways to break and fix her characters. Oh, and sex... her books have sex.
She loves to travel and has an amazing, fabulous hubby who puts up with her love affair with her book boyfriends.


No comments:

Post a Comment