Sunday, September 6, 2015

Beauty and the Mustache (Knitting in the City, #4) by Penny Reid [Audio Review]


 

There are three things you need to know about Ashley Winston: 1) She has six brothers and they all have beards, 2) She is a reader, and 3) She knows how to knit. Former beauty queen, Ashley Winston’s preferred coping strategy is escapism. She escaped her Tennessee small town, loathsome father, and six brothers eight years ago.

Now she escapes life daily via her Amazon kindle one-click addiction. However, when a family tragedy forces her to return home, Ashley can’t escape the notice of Drew Runous— local Game Warden, reclusive mountain man, bear wrestler, philosopher, and everyone’s favorite guy. Drew’s irksome philosophizing in particular makes Ashley want to run for the skyscrapers, especially since he can’t seem to keep his exasperating opinions— or his soulful poetry, steadfast support, and delightful hands— to himself. Pretty soon the girl who wanted nothing more than the escape of the big city finds she’s lost her heart in small town Tennessee. 




 4 Major Beard love Stars
Beauty and the Mustache is a standalone novel and is part of the Knitting in the City series.  I am doing the audio version of this read. I enjoy audio books a lot because I can listen at any time or place. Also I feel like I can connect to the characters better.

There are many reasons why I picked up this book. All my friends love Penny Reid, I am also a knitter and I love funny books. I would describe Penny Reid’s writing style (at least this series) much like a chick-lit book. It’s not very steamy, but it’s a no fuss, no muss kind of read. It’s cute and adorable. If you have a group of girls in your life then this book will make you miss and appreciate them. 

One of the things I enjoyed a lot about this book is the overall storyline. Ashley needs to go home because of a family emergency. She hasn’t gone home in YEARS. She also has SIX brothers. 
Oh one more thing I should note, Ashley is from the south. So the narrator has an accent and it’s the CUTEST thing ever. I simply LOVED LOVED LOVED the accent. I’m from the south and the way people talk, the way Ashley talked, hit it on the mark. It’s true, with all “bless your heart”, I couldn’t get enough of it. Also, when the narrator would do the male parts and with the accent,  I just died laughing. 

Anyway, back to the review. Ashley has to deal with her family issue, on top of her hillbilly brothers, on top of the new guy, DREW. Who… wait for it is an educated philosopher? Like I said, the storyline is cute. Another aspect of the book I loved was the overall tone. I enjoyed how light and comical the read was. I loved Ashley’s brothers antics and I can’t wait to get to know more about them. 

Ashley and Drew’s relationship is very slow building. There’s a lot of character development and there’s little steam, which is fine, just know that is how the book is written. I thought the relationship was unhurried, but sweet. I felt like I could truly feel the feelings forming between Ashley and Drew. 
I loved Ashley. I loved how she put up with her family, how much she loved her mom and that she always put everyone first. I enjoyed Drew. I enjoyed how caring and loyal he was towards Ashley and her family. This book will tie you up in knots and “put the butter on your bread”… hehehe.

If you are a fan of the series or want to try a Penny Reid book, then I suggest this one. It will leave a smile on your face. 

Audio Questions
Would you consider the audio edition of Beauty and the Mustache to be better than the print version?
I didn’t read the print version, but I enjoyed the audio very much. The accent was perfect and it got me completely engrossed in the story.

Who was your favorite character and why?
I loved Ashley’s six brothers. I found them comical, endearing and it added a little something to the storyline. I loved how protective they were towards Ashley too. 

What does Joy Nash bring to the story that you wouldn’t experience if you just read the book?
This is my first narration by Joy and she completely nailed this book. With all of the voice transitions to the accent, it was simply top notched. She conveyed Ashley’s emotions so well and I felt all of them. Joy is on my favorite list. 

If you were to make a film of this book, what would the tag line be?
I hate this question because I can never do it justice…. Maybe something like “A mountain man, bear wrestler and philosopher, Ashley may have met her match” < ---- I tried. 

Series

Neanderthal Seeks Human #1 AMAZON FREE REVIEW
Friends without Benefits #2 AMAZON
Love Hacked #3 AMAZON
Beauty and the Mustache #4 AMAZON

Penny Reid is a part time author of romantic fiction. When she's not immersed in penning smart romances she works in the biotech industry as a researcher. She's also a full time mom to two diminutive adults (boy-8 and girl-5), wife, daughter, knitter, crocheter, sewer, general crafter, and thought ninja.


No comments:

Post a Comment