Friday, September 4, 2015

Begging for It (Asking for It, #2) by Lilah Pace [Review]


The provocative author of Asking for It once again explores the dark side of erotic obsession, and the secrets that make it as dangerous as it is irresistible.

Some secrets should only be shared in the dark.

Jonah and Vivienne’s erotic bond—living out raw scenarios of captivity and force—began as no-strings sex between strangers who shared the same desires. Now the intimacy between them is turning into love, but it’s a love built on fantasies so extreme that exploring them makes guilt inescapable. But the risks they're taking are far more dangerous than they'd imagined.

A stalker is terrorizing the city, and one of Jonah’s ex-lovers names him as a potential suspect to the police. Standing by a man under suspicion could cost Vivienne everything. But when Jonah’s stepfather takes advantage of the scandal to seize control of the Marks family fortune, Vivienne is drawn into her lover’s broken family and twisted past. Only then will she learn how dark the truth really is...





4 Beg for It Stars

Begging for it picks up right where Asking for it left off.

We learned a lot from asking for it. We learned that Jonah, as a child was forced to watch his mother get raped, which really messed him up, because of that, it’s a reason why he fantasizes about raping women. Jonah left Vivienne because he couldn’t handle Vivienne getting actually raped in the past. Vivienne is a mess and misses Jonah badly. I don’t blame the girl. What happens when your drug dealer leaves you? Jonah was like her drug and just like that gone.

I had a lot of questions going into Begging for it, like how long will the separation last? Will there be kinkier scenes between Vivienne and Jonah? What kind of obstacles will the couple face?
The story starts out slowly, but within the first ten percent we get into the heart of it all. The meat, the stuff I like and the kink, yes please. It did not disappointment. Jonah and Vivienne continue to work on the issues, Jonah has a complex about raping and Vivienne must have harsh sex to get off.

If only that was the only thing they had to deal with. There is a rapist around campus and Jonah is in the thick of it. Because of Jonah’s ex-girlfriend, Jonah is now being questioned about the raping. This also threatens Jonah’s inheritance.

A lot goes on in Begging for it.  What attracted me to the series originally is the taboo storyline. It’s not a dark read, but it’s not light. I think it’s dramatic and has a lot of spice. I like the unconventional relationship and I felt like each steamy scene is different.  I kept on wondering how the author would push the characters. Like, I said, really fresh, raw and good.

Of course the book isn’t about sex and I liked the back story. I like that Jonah has to work on not only his personal issues, but the issues he currently faces, like his job, and his family.  Then, Vivienne has to deal with her family too. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t a fan of her family, especially her sister, she is very annoying.

The story really pushes boundaries and shows you a different side of relationships. It’s interesting to see the way Vivienne and Jonah are programed. I like that Vivienne pushes Jonah and Jonah tries hard not to cross that invisible line, he struggles a lot in the book.

If you loved the series, you will not be disappointed by this conclusion.
An ARC was provided

 
He rises from the bench as I walk to him, an old-fashioned, almost chivalrous gesture that touches me in a way I can't define. As we sit down together, he says, "Is everything all right?"

"No." I take a deep breath. "Jonah, I can't keep doing this. Meeting you. Playing out our – scenes. It has to stop."

At first he says nothing. His expression remains cool. Is he that controlled? Will he just get up and walk away like none of it ever happened?

But it couldn't have ended any other way.

Finally Jonah speaks. "You weren't unhappy with – what I did at the benefit."

"No." God, no. When I think about the way he slid his fingers inside my panties, I want to take back everything I've said, grab him by the collar and drag him into the nearest building for a quickie in the stairwell. It would be as scorching hot as every other time Jonah's put his hands on my skin.
And it would only be delaying the inevitable.

I take a deep breath. "This isn't about anything you did wrong. Okay? You've kept every promise. You made me feel safe at moments I don't think any other man could have, ever. And you –" My voice breaks. Dammit. I pull myself together. "You saw something in me I've always hated and made me feel less ashamed of it for a while. So thanks for that. And the sex. Definitely thanks for the sex."
My crooked smile doesn't fool him for a moment. Jonah leans forward; he brings his hand closer to me, as if he'll touch my shoulder, but rests it on the back of the bench instead. "Vivienne, what's wrong?"

This is normally where I bunt. Where I take the gentlest, easiest out for everyone involved, so we can walk away with no hurt feelings, no unresolved conflicts.

I've always thought of it as consideration, or poise. Doreen says it's dishonesty, and asks me what would happen if for once in my life I just told the ugly truth and let people deal with it.
Jonah already knows one of my uglier truths. What the hell.

"I thought I could have sex outside of a relationship, with no strings attached," I say. "I did in undergrad, like anyone else. Probably I could do it again with someone else. But you and me – it's not a normal situation. Not only because of, you know, the fantasy –" I glance around, but few students walk anywhere near us, and every single one is either wearing earbuds or absorbed in their cell phones. "It's more complicated than that."

"Our arrangement is simple," he says flatly. "We were very specific about what this would be and how we would handle it."

"This isn't about logistics." I look upward at a pale gray sky, the kind you see when the clouds have claimed the entire sky. Truth. Tell the real truth. "Jonah, every time I'm with you, it's more than sex. Every time, I turn myself over to you, completely. I have to give you total control, and total trust."
"I haven't abused that trust, have I?"

Shaking my head, I say, "No. But don't you see? I don't just fuck you, Jonah. I bare my soul to you. Then we go back to being almost strangers to each other. The disconnect is getting to me, and I don't think I can handle it anymore."

Despite all our rules and resolutions, I have begun to have feelings for Jonah. To feel jealous of other women he might touch. To want to have not just his body but his heart. That means I want too much. Which in turn means I have to get out, now.

SERIES
 
Asking for it #1 REVIEW
Amazon B&N - BAM - iBooks - Kobo

Begging for it #2 AMAZON



Lilah Pace is a pseudonym for a New York Times bestselling YA author. This is her first adult novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment