Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Crow (Boston Underworld, #1) by A. Zavarelli

It was supposed to be easy.



Get in, get my proof, and get out.


I didn’t count on him hating me. I had no way of knowing he had his own agenda. And even worse, I had no way of knowing he’d make me fall in love with him. He was the worst kind of wrong. Everything I swore I’d never want. And I owed it to her to find out what happened.


An Irish mobster. A missing friend. Two loyalties, ripping me apart.
It was supposed to be easy.
But they took her from me. And I’m going to make them pay.



4 At All Cost Stars
“So are you keeping me around because you want to, or because you have to?”
“I want to”
“Why?”
“Ye’re trouble. A wild card, Mack. But maybe I like having ye here.”


This is my third A. Zavarelli book. I binged read her Bleeding Heart series and so I was really excited for this one. I’m a sucker for romance mob stories, call me crazy but I have a soft spot for killers. Crow is written differently than the Bleeding Heart series, it’s a bit more descriptive and the steam is on the tamer side. Don’t worry, there’s plenty of steam, but I would consider this more New Adult, than erotica.

I always love a tough Heroine if done correctly and Mackenzie (Mack) takes the cake. She grew up in the foster system and knows how to protect herself. As in she knows how to street fight. Different right? I wasn’t sure on this concept at first, because it just seems so emasculating, but it completely worked for her character.

Mack is on a mission to save her friend, who got sucked in the underworld of dangerous mob men.
Lachlan is in to gain completely control, but he has to prove himself. Lachlan is Irish and I’m always hesitant when I read a “true” Irish character, you know with the Irish slang and such. I’m an American so I wouldn’t know if it’s don’t properly and too much can take away from the story, but it really didn’t. I found it kind of cute and there was just a perfect amount.

I really liked Lachlan. He’s this super hardcore Hero right, so he needs to be tough, harsh and distant. I like that he had an instant attraction towards Mack because that’s how it should be and he automatically wanted her under his protection. Yes, please calling all alpha males, Lachlan is staking his claim.

The chemistry between Lachlan and Mack is explosive and there’s plenty of tension to keep you interested. There’s so much going on with Mack working as a stripper, I know, and Lachlan dealing with the mob politics. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about Mack lying to get to know Lachlan so she could rescue her friend, but that wasn’t the focal point of the book. Mack spends a good portion of the book befriending a stripper and helping the girls. She’s a strong character and I liked seeing that side of her.

It’s a meaty book with lots of action, passion and drama to keep you entertained.

An ARC was provided






AMAZON 99 CENTS
AMAZON - UK CA AU


Bleeding Heart Series

 

ECHO #1 AMAZON
STUTTER #2 AMAZON





A romance book junkie, cat lover, and traveler when plagued by intense cases of wanderlust. I like all things chocolate, books that come with warnings, and pretty much any kind of characters that are dark and gritty.





1 comment: