Friday, February 5, 2016

End of Day (Jack & Jill #1) by Jewel E. Ann [Review]






Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust; in the sure and certain hope of the Resurrection to eternal life.

Four caskets. Two bodies.

Jessica and Jude Day witness their funeral and that of their parents a few yards away from mourning family and friends. Stripped of the only life they’ve ever known, the Days say goodbye to San Francisco forever.

Six months later, two thirty-year-old misfits with elite self-defense skills and penchants for alcohol, sex, and trouble arrive like an earthquake to Peaceful Woods, a retirement community in Omaha, Nebraska, that thrives on rules and gossip. Welcome home, Jackson and Jillian Knight.

Jackson celebrates his new beginning by embracing his job and






wiping his cavalier past clean with a temporary oath of celibacy. But Jillian’s past is branded into her soul—the deaths, the insanity, Dr. Luke Jones, and the need to make her lovers bleed. Her chance for redemption comes in the form of a next door neighbor, one Senior Master Sergeant Monaghan. He’s sexy, dangerously alluring, and riddled with emotional issues from years of service. He’s also … So.

Damn. Grumpy.

Their mission is simple: Let go, start over, don't kill anyone, and pray that nobody wakes the dead.

6 Old Love, New Love, Crazy Love stars
End of Day is the first book in the Jack and Jill series. I don’t know why I picked up this book. Maybe because I saw my friends give it five stars on Goodreads, maybe because it was on kindle unlimited and maybe after reading “Four Caskets. Two bodies” in the summary I was instantly intrigued.

There are not enough words to convey how WELL WRITTEN this book was. This is a really meaty book, BUT EVERYTHING WRITTEN has a meaning. Every flashback, love part and dramatic experience had a reason. Yes people, I LOVE the flashbacks, in fact I would say it was my favorite part of the book.

This book kind of has a love triangle, but it’s the kind that will melt your heart. I never thought I would love a love triangle book, but there’s something about this one that is so raw, emotional and addictive to read.

Jessica and Jude day are twins. Before you even think, no, it’s NOT that kind of book. I love the relationship between Jessica and Jude. I have a sister and we are best friends so it’s a real treat reading the sister / brother love they have for each other. Due to unfortunate circumstances, which we do not know, they have to fake their deaths. 

Jessica not only leaves her past behind, but the love of her life too.

So I’m instantly hooked by now because I have SO MANY QUESTIONS going in my head! Why did they fake their deaths? Who is Jessica’s love and why is he so important? What are they going to do now?

Now, they are Jillian and Jackson. They have new lives and Jessica and Jude are dead.  End of Day focuses mostly on Jillian and her issues. She’s had a traumatic past and what makes this book so wonderful is that we get glimpses of her past as we read. I can tell you now, I usually hate reading flashbacks, but because the author describes Jillian’s past with her past love, it’s REALLY REALLY GOOD.

Luke is Jessica’s past. Slowly we figure out what he means to her and how Luke’s life impacts Jessica’s in a very big way. I love Luke. If I had to describe the perfect male book boyfriend, it would be him. He’s smart, strong and the best part of him, he wants Jessica to be better.

“She fallen in love with Luke and the fact that she didn’t kiss him proved it. Love takes nothing but gives everything. Jessica hadn’t given him everything yet”

“You tore into my life… into my heart, wrecking all sense of the man I was before you. Being with you is the best part of my day … every day.”

BUT Jessica is dead and so Jillian forges on and meets AJ. I have mix feelings towards AJ, but I do like his character. I found him so shattered, broken and I love how mean he is towards Jillian. Jillian doesn’t love AJ, but she sees something in him that draws her to him. Maybe she can just play with him to help her get over Luke.

I found Jillian and AJ’s not so normal relationship endearing and somewhat sad. As you read more about Jessica’s past, you find out how much she needs her future to be better and somewhat normal. It’s hard to explain, but even though I didn’t really super like AJ, I liked reading the story.
Jackson is the awesome protective brother. I love the banter between Jillian and Jackson and you get more of him in the second book.

It’s a really heart-warming tale about lost love, new love and making something of the future. I never knew where the story was going to go and I was really okay with that. The writing is exceptional and I can honestly say I’m a HUGE Jewel E. Ann.
SERIES

End of Day #1 AMAZON
Middle of Knight #2 AMAZON
Dawn of Forever #3 AMAZON

Jewel is a free-spirited romance junkie with a quirky sense of humor.
With 10 years of flossing lectures under her belt, she took early retirement from her dental hygiene career to stay home with her three awesome boys and manage the family business.

After her best friend of nearly 30 years suggested a few books from the Contemporary Romance genre, Jewel was hooked. Devouring two and three books a week but still craving more, she decided to practice sustainable reading, AKA writing.

When she’s not donning her cape and saving the planet one tree at a time, she enjoys yoga with friends, good food with family, rock climbing with her kids, watching How I Met Your Mother reruns, and of course…heart-wrenching, tear-jerking, panty-scorching novels.


No comments:

Post a Comment