Friday, April 22, 2016

That Thing Between Eli & Gwen by J.J. McAvoy [REVIEW]

Eli Davenport thinks he’s found the perfect woman to be his wife. She’s a doctor, like he is. She’s brilliant, like he is. And she’s wealthy, like he is.

Guinevere 'Gwen' Poe thinks her fiancé is the perfect man. He’s handsome, successful and he was her first…

But when Eli’s bride runs off with Gwen’s fiancée on his wedding day, they are left to pick up the broken pieces of each other...


4.5 Doctor Me Stars
I haven’t read a JJ McAvoy read since the Ruthless people series and that was a different genre, so I was curious to how I would like That Thing Between Eli & Gwen.

First off, I can understand the reviews. I was instantly drawn by the summary and the fact JJ McAvoy reads have little to zero angst works in my opinion. Yes, she creates interesting storylines and tension, but I never feel like I have to pull my hair out.

Eli and Gwen have one thing in common; they were both with someone and both of significant others left Eli and Gwen for each other’s fiancés. That’s a great introduction to the story right? On Eli’s wedding day, his soon-to-be bride runs away with Gwen’s fiancé!  I couldn’t believe it and I was gobbling the beginning like mad. I felt for the main characters and I couldn’t wait for them to find each other and fall in love.

Expect that would be a boring book and you need more right? To my surprise, Eli and Gwen do not like each other! I guess you can say Eli resents Gwen and Gwen just wants to be left alone, but since Gwen moved into the same building as Eli, it’s hard to not run into him.

I really liked that Eli and Gwen butt heads at first, it really added something to the story and I found the banter really amusing. I also wanted Gwen to keep Eli on his toes. They start to form this odd bond and it works. I also like that Eli is a doctor and Gwen is a successful artist. Successful artist, who knew right? Having both characters established in his/her career kind of set a sweet tone for the read. I felt like you could focus on the main issue, both characters getting dumped by a long time partner.

Of course both have a lot of issues to work on and of course a lot happens throughout the book. Overall, it’s a fun read with lots to keep you interested.






Ruthless People Series

Ruthless People #1 REVIEW | AMAZON
The Untouchables #2 REVIEW | AMAZON
American Savages #3 AMAZON



I’m a twenty-year-old something born in Montreal, Canada but currently living in Virginia for school. I would tell you want my major is however after two years I still have no idea what I’m doing.

So I’m a writer (duh that’s how you found me), movie enthusiast, and self-proclaimed chef. I love music even though I can’t sing or dance to save my life. (That doesn’t necessarily stop me but you’ve been warned.)

I started Ruthless People the summer of 2013 in hopes of giving myself a new type of love and crime drama. I never knew so many people thought like me! I feel truly blessed to have fans like you all! Writing is my true love and having you all enjoy my words is a dream come true.


No comments:

Post a Comment