Wednesday, September 21, 2016

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood [Review]

As the daughter of a meth dealer, Wavy knows not to trust people, not even her own parents. Struggling to raise her little brother, eight-year-old Wavy is the only responsible "adult" around. She finds peace in the starry Midwestern night sky above the fields behind her house. One night everything changes when she witnesses one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold, wreck his motorcycle. What follows is a powerful and shocking love story between two unlikely people that asks tough questions, reminding us of all the ugly and wonderful things that life has to offer. 



6 Unexpected Stars
Everyone told me about this book. Everyone said they loved it, but I thought to myself, really? Who is this author and I read romance books, the cover looks not romance. Well, I should slap myself in the face because everything everyone said was true about this book. 

I’m very excited to tell you how I feel about All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. It’s not often when I finish a book I’m left stunned and speechless. Right when I finished I wanted to message all of my book friends to tell them about the book I read and that they should read it too.

All the Ugly and Wonderful Things is so unexpected, so delightful and so wonderful. It’s a little bit of taboo that will make you addicted to the pages. It was a non-stop read for me. When I had to put it down so I could sleep I had dreams about this book and how badly I wanted to finish it.

The first point I want to address is the writing. The book is written so well. It was engaging and it flowed. The book is written in different POV’s and that usually makes me cringe, but the way the author wrote it, it worked. I actually like it better because it was written that way.

Within the first few pages of the book you will be hooked. You will think to yourself, oh yeah this is going to be really good. Wavy is not your typical little girl. The book is written in order starting with Wavy and her childhood.

I’ve read a few books with complicated Heroines, but I’ve never read a story like Wavy. What I enjoyed most about her character was that I wasn’t told how to feel towards her, through reading and seeing Wavy’s actions I could make my own opinions. She doesn’t eat, she is living in the worst conditions and ever since she was little she’s been taking care of her baby brother. People may call her odd, unbalanced and not all there, but I think she’s dynamic. 

Kellen is an ex-con, a decade older than Wavy, big and huge brute. He’s not very smart, but he has the biggest heart and pure intentions. He forges this unexpected relationship with a pretty little blonde girl and that is how Wavy and Kellen become best friends.

I love the relationship between Kellen and Wavy. You couldn’t have picked a more unique pairing. She’s so angel like and quiet and he’s big and abrasive. There is an underlying tone of the book that there could be something more to them and of course that adds the taboo element of the book.
The book is very heavy and at times you want to read super quick because you don’t know if your heart can take it, but it can.

Overall, I’m so glad I picked this book up. It’s an up and down of roller coaster of emotions but it was completely worth it. I could read it a million times over.




BRYN GREENWOOD is a fourth-generation Kansan and the daughter of a mostly reformed drug dealer. She is the author of the novels All the Ugly and Wonderful Things, Last Will, and Lie Lay Lain. She lives in Lawrence, Kansas. 

http://www.bryngreenwood.com

No comments:

Post a Comment