Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer [Audio Review]

The Emmy Award-winning comedian, actress, writer, and star of Inside Amy Schumer and the acclaimed film Trainwreck has taken the entertainment world by storm with her winning blend of smart, satirical humor. Now, Amy Schumer has written a refreshingly candid and uproariously funny collection of (extremely) personal and observational essays.

In The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo, Amy mines her past for stories about her teenage years, her family, relationships, and sex and shares the experiences that have shaped who she is—a woman with the courage to bare her soul to stand up for what she believes in, all while making us laugh.

Ranging from the raucous to the romantic, the heartfelt to the harrowing, this highly entertaining and universally appealing collection is the literary equivalent of a night out with your best friend—an unforgettable and fun adventure that you wish could


last forever. Whether she’s experiencing lust-at-first-sight while in the airport security line, sharing her own views on love and marriage, admitting to being an introvert, or discovering her cross-fit instructor’s secret bad habit, Amy Schumer proves to be a bighearted, brave, and thoughtful storyteller that will leave you nodding your head in recognition, laughing out loud, and sobbing uncontrollably—but only because it’s over.


4 Interesting and Different Stars
Yes, I’m a romance review blogger, but what you don’t know about me is that I am obsessed with celebrity autobiographies. I love comedians like Tiny Fey and Mindy Kaling which were great books by the way and I even read Tori Spelling and even the last bachelorette’s book. I’m that crazy. 

I love reading these types of reads because I want to know more. I want to know the nitty, the gritty and the deepest darkest secrets of these stars. I do tend to favour the funnier books, so I was really surprised with Amy Schumer’s slightly not so hilarious book.

I love Amy Schumer, I love her abrasive personality and I love how she doesn’t care what anyone thinks of her. I love that she loves her curves and doesn’t consider them curves but what a normal woman should look like. I loved her last film, Train Wreck and I was excited to see what this book would be about.

This book is all about Amy Schumer and its glimpses of the most important times in her life, from child to adulthood.

I did the audio version because I think it’s the best way to read these types of books and also it’s always done by the author, so what’s not to lose? I think my reading experience was completely enhanced and I suggest everyone to it this way. 

There were some high and low parts and to my surprise, a few dark parts. I would have preferred to have a 100% funny book, but I appreciate what the author was trying to do. I agreed with some parts and I disagreed with a few parts. The book is about her life, but it also touches a few topics. It’s when she forms her own opinion on certain subject matter I found myself wanting her to move to a new subject. I wouldn’t say it was distracting, but just a tad bit much for my taste.

I do like the parts where she exposes herself and she mentions abuse. You would never think someone like her would go through that and it was an awaking moment. And she is abused by a few people.  

I liked how she spoke about her family and how much they mean to her. I liked how she spoke about how she became successful and what went on during the press tour for her movie. That’s the stuff I like to read in these books. 

Overall, I enjoyed the book. I would of course read another one by her, but I would ask that she makes it a little more humorous than serious.





No comments:

Post a Comment