Tuesday, March 7, 2017

How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks [Review]

Luciana grew up on the Isle of Moon, hidden away because of her magical powers. But when her father arrives, he offers her a choice: remain on the island or return with him and marry the Beast of Benwick in order to save their legacy—and her father's life.

Lord Leofric, the Beast of Benwick, has not been touched since he was a child. Born with the power to harness lightning, he is a danger to everyone he touches. When he meets his betrothed, he expects a loveless, lonely marriage...until he discovers she's vastly more powerful than he realized. But is she strong enough to withstand his touch.

If they can survive, their love will alter the future of the kingdom. But will their extraordinary powers cost them everything?

4.25 Taming Stars
This is my first Kerrelyn Sparks book and I can see why a lot of people like her. How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days is a standalone and is part of The Embraced series.

I don’t remember, but there are five girls involved, they are all introduced in this book. This is Luciana’s story.

Luciana is one of the girls that are Embraced which just means she has a power. Her father was scared for her so he hid her away in a convent.  There she befriend several girls, like her.  Luciana (Ana) is adorable because she grew up in a convent, she is very sheltered and somewhat naïve. I like Luciana’s heart and I like her youthful personality. It’s why I read these books.

Leo is considered a Beast. He can shoot lightning from his finger tips and because of this he can’t touch anyone. I know right? I gobbled this storyline like up! He an easy person to get to know, but he loves his people and now he is betrothed.

The beginning starts off with a lot of character development. You get a feel of what the book is about and kind of world it is. There are humans and even an elf. Some have powers and its usually different kinds, like animal shifting.

I liked Ana and I liked Leo, but because of the no-touch rule, it’s a slow burn novel. Someone is out to get Ana and I like the mysterious element of the book. I also liked reading about her interacting with other characters. I usually don’t care for the side characters, but I felt like they were a part of the story and I hope they get their own books.

There is a slow tug and pull between Ana and Leo, so if you like books with a huge buildup, this one is for you. I liked that mostly Leo was bewitched with Ana and even though he didn’t fully get her, he wanted her. I’m always a fan of the Hero chasing after the Heroine.

Overall, it was a fun book.

An ARC was provided by St. Martin’s Press and I volunteered to review.




Kerrelyn Sparks apparently has issues with reality. After writing more than a dozen books about vampires, she has now completely gone off the deep end and wound up on another planet. But how thrilling that she can share this magical new world with her readers! Although she is best known (so far) for the Love at Stake series, which has hit as high as number 5 on the New York Times list and 22 on the USA Today list, she hopes her readers will love The Embraced as much as they did her merry band of vamps and shifters. To learn more about her paranormal, historical, and upcoming out-of-this-world fantasy romances, please visit Kerrelyn on Facebook, Twitter, or her website at www.kerrelynsparks.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment