Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Brave Line by Kate Stewart

She is a five foot seven long list of things he can’t have.
He is a determined cop, desperate to keep his heart sealed behind his badge.
Michelle is a survivor. With a fresh perspective on life, she trades her tragic past in California for the coastal waters of Charleston. Fueled by a new career as a dispatcher, she’s determined not to let her scars weigh her down. She apologizes for nothing, especially her insatiable need for a certain police officer.
Rowdy is a newly minted sergeant dedicated to his job, but the life of a Charleston police officer has never been more dangerous. With his need to take order of a city spiraling out of control, the last thing he wants is an entanglement with a mouthy dispatcher. But, there’s just one problem. He can’t get enough of her.
As the heat rises between the unlikely pair, so does the tension.
Three months of summer was all it took to shake their

foundations, rattle their walls, and bring them crashing down.
It was lust.
It was love.
It was real.
And it would have been perfect . . . if it wasn't already over.





3.5 Mr. Cop Stars
I love Kate Stewart. I love her books and I like her as a person. There are a few things you should know about my reading preferences. I’m a picky reader, there are some books that I just gravitate towards and there are some that I don’t really have interest, but I do like to give them a go. I’m not a fan of cop books. What?! I know. Maybe because I don’t have any experience or I don’t really care for a man in uniform. I married an accountant, so you can see where I’m coming from.

So, here is my honest review…

Things I liked about The Brave Line

I liked the dialogue. I enjoyed the flow of the book and I LOVE LOVE LOVE dialogue based books. I love reading conversations with characters and I am not a fan of monologues. The reading was easy and pleasant.

I liked the steam. I don’t know if this is a new thing but the more dramatic books I read, I feel like the books are becoming more slow burn reads. I found the steam in this really refreshing and added to the chemistry between the two main characters.

I didn’t read Anything Minor or Major Love, but I realized the two characters, Andy and April were in this one and it got me curious about the other books. I haven’t read those books because I am also not a sports fan (I know! I’m crazy).

The book didn’t have much angst and I like that. I’m not a big angst fan. There’s tension, but nothing I wanted to pull my hair out.

The Heroine was strong, feisty and flirty, I found her cute.

The Things I didn’t like about The Brave Line

As mentioned before, I’m not a big cop book fan. I found there was a lot of cop talk. I get it, sometimes you get immersed into the world and it can take a life of its own. Since I’m not a fan of cop books, I didn’t really care for all the cop speak.

I found it hard to relate and like the hero. Rowdy kept on pushing Michelle away and it was just making me angry. He would keep on saying this is the last time, but then treat her like his girlfriend. I felt like if he wanted to truly push her away he should have been meaner. I know, I’m asking the Hero to be meaner, but it would match his actions more.

So, this is kind of odd, but here it goes. In the beginning of the book the author dedicates the book to someone I know. I don’t know her personally, but she’s in the book community. I know of her and because of that, it really hindered my reading experience. EVERY time I read “Michelle” I kept on picturing Michelle’s Facebook profile picture in my head. It was really annoying. I have to say, this is the first time this has ever happened to me. It’s kind of like watching a movie and all you see is the actress playing the part, instead of the character itself.

I found it hard to connect to the characters and the Michelle thing didn’t help. I never fully got them, nor understood them.

I went into the book with huge expectations. I thought the book would be rough, tough and gut me. What I got was a nice book about a cop and a dispatcher, which is fine, but I would have enjoyed it better if I didn’t have these false idea of PAIN, SADNESS, and HARDACHE ya know?

I found the last part of the book really random. I would have liked if this random part be the base of the story and kind of build off of that.

I know I’m kind of random in this review and overall, I liked the book. I don’t think I was the person catered towards it since a lot of people liked it, but I always try new and different books.
An ARC was provided

AMAZON





The Reluctant Romantics Series



The Fall #1 AMAZON | REVIEW
The Mind #1.5 AMAZON | REVIEW
The Heart #2 AMAZON


A native of Dallas, Kate Stewart now resides in beautiful Charleston, S.C. She lives with her husband of 9 years, Nick, and her naughty beagle, Sadie.

Kate moved to Charleston three weeks after her first visit, dropping her career of 8 years, and declaring the city her creative muse. Since the move in 2010, Kate has written and published four novels including Room 212, Never Me, Loving the White Liar and The Fall.

Kate writes messy, sexy, angst filled romance books with 'hard to get' happy endings because it's what she loves as a reader. She has a scary addiction to chocolate milk and a deep love for rap music specifically the genius known as Marshall Mathers.



No comments:

Post a Comment