Monday, November 26, 2012

Book Review - The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our StarsThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 Stars

I am not a fan of books with people who have cancer or people that I know will die, however, I do read them, but I have to mentally prepare myself. The Fault In Our Stars has been on my to-read pile for awhile. I see so many reviews and John Green is really popular. I read the first page at the book store and I was drawn from there, I had to finish it.

John Green is very witty and his writing style is sarcastic, comical and a bit dark. The Fault In Our Stars is about Hazel, she is 16 years old and has Stage IV thyroid cancer. Hazel has accepted her fate, there’s no cure for her, but only to prolong her life and to live as comfortable as possible. She attends support group one day and notices Augustus, a 17 year old who is in remission. Hazel is hesitant with Augustus forwardness; she doesn’t want to hurt people, because she knows she is going to die soon, but he pursues her regardless.

This book is no epic love story; it’s just a story about two kids centered on being sick. It’s very depressing and it really makes you appreciate your health. I didn’t cry in this book, but there were many moments where I was like “damn, that is an intense part”.

The book starts a little light and it slowly becomes serious and a little darker. The characters become more real and you get a glimpse of what a dying person goes through. I am not sure the book could be considered accurate, but I am not reading a nonfiction book, so I take story for what it’s worth.

It’s a well written sad love story. I recommend the read only because it will slap you in the face and make you realize how fragile life is.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment