Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Maya Dyer, #2) by Michelle Hodkin

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 Stars

Noah knew what I was and what I’d done and he wanted me anyway. He saw me. All of me. With my skin peeled back, my heart bare. I was inside out for him, and trembling.


I loved book 1, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, everything to the cover, to the main character, to the whole mysterious plot, it was a don’t-pu- it-down kind of book. I had to wait a whole year for book2 and I have to say, I have mix feelings on The Evolution of Mara Dyer.

Book 1 ended on a mild cliff-hanger and book 2 picks up right where book 1 left off, which is nice. There’s no lapse in time, but still things are fuzzy. Mara wakes up in the hospital and everyone treats her crazy, you start to think is she crazy? I love books that like. I love crazy characters, it’s like you are seeing the character from only their point of view. Mara questions everything, things she thinks she sees and things she thinks she hears, this reminds me a lot like Shatter Me.

Noah and Mara’s relationship is still prominent in the book, which is also a plus for me. I am not a fan of authors who kind of pulls back on the relationship in book 2 of series. I feel like Michelle Hodkin really develops the relationship and you are part of that journey. There is a little tension between Noah and Mara, but most of the tension is around Mara being traumatized. I love how Noah keeps Mara grounded and even when Mara is losing control and she kind of pushes Noah away, Noah fights for her and doesn’t let anyone get in his way in being with Mara.

The book starts off a little slow and then it gets super slow to the point I was thinking of giving the book 2 stars, but towards the middle end, bam, you are hit with full action. I couldn’t put the last 200 pages down; I had to find out what was happening. The book ends on a HUGE cliff-hanger, which I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was. I felt like there should have been a little more explained before Michelle just ended it. I recommend the series, it’s an up and down roller coaster, but a fun one.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment