Monday, December 3, 2012

Alice in Zombie Land (The White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter

Alice in Zombieland (The White Rabbit Chronicles, #1)Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 Stars

I hate to admit it, but the cover took me in. I’m not a big Alice in the Wonderland fan, but after reading the summary I was interested.

I love Zombie books, my favorites are Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, World War Z, and , Warm Bodies . I thought Alice in Zombieland would be like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, taking the classic story and adding Zombies into the mix, but it wasn’t and I am happy Gena Showalter did that.

In the beginning Alice Bell is your typical teenage girl, she has an overprotective father, a caring mother and a little sister she adores. Alice goes through a traumatic event and it changes everything in her life. Alice is trying hard to go back to the way she was before, but she becomes depressive, recluse and sort of stops living life. On Alice’s first day of her new school after the traumatic event, she locks eyes with a boy in school, Cole and she has a vision of them together. Alice is confused by the vision and other things she starts to see, usually at night.

The book is very light-hearted and I would even say comical. Alice and Cole’s relationship isn’t the main story, but with everything else going on, the book still maintains movement and flow. I like Alice because she’s very strong-willed and determined. She isn’t annoying or does anything too irrational. Cole’s character is okay, he’s typical macho man, kind of self absorbed, which is a turn off. I would like the intensity of Alice and Cole’s relationship taken up a notch in book 2.

I understand why Gena Showalter titled the book Alice in Zombieland, she had to draw in the readers, is it a bit misleading? Yes, but did it pay off? Yes. With everything said, don’t go into this book expecting the classic Alice In Wonderland story, but if you like comical, witty books with Zombies, then this book is perfect for you.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment