Monday, December 31, 2012

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Gone GirlGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 Stars

I picked Gone Girl for my next book club meet because of all the hype and also it would force me to finally read the book. I was a bit concern the hype wouldn’t be justified, but I see it now it is. Although I placed a good rating on the book, I didn’t sit well with the story.

Nick’s wife, Amy, goes missing on the day of their 5th wedding anniversary. The whole book is told in Nick’s present POV as he unravels clues to find Amy. Gone Girl also has Amy diary entries, her POV in past time, foretelling their love story so you as an audience can paint a picture of the marriage.

First off and let’s just get this out of the way, Gillian Flynn is a brilliant writer. I would like to tell you a lot of my opinions, but it would give a lot of the story away, so I’ll be vague. I don’t like books that are told in present and past tense, I find them annoying, probably because there’s a lot of tension. However Gillian did it right, I liked the diary entries, to me, it kind of makes the story more mysterious than it already is.

The beginning starts off slow and I was starting to question why everyone thought this book was great, once you got past the first 50 pages, it really picks up. I loved how you never know which side you were meant to be on until almost the end, is Nick good or bad? As a reader, I always try to think of the not obvious and I had my theories going into the book and boy was I slammed with many surprises.

I think I would have liked the book more if I actually like the story in itself. I am not the type of person to tell you I like a best seller because everyone else does, so I’ll say it now, I do not care for the story. I hate the version the guy says vs. the version the girl says, it upsets me and it unhinges me but I get it and I can see why it’s so good.

Saying the book has a few twist and turns is an understatement, the whole book is filled with twist and turns, you had no idea what was going to happen, not even until the last page. Gone Girl was the opposite of an easy read, it’s very terrifying, panicking, oh what the f kind of read you will not put down. I could have read the book in one day, but I had to give myself a break about 50% into the book because my heart rate wouldn’t stop.

So, my final thoughts are this, was it a good book? Yes. Was it written well? Yes. Did I actually like the story? No.

It’s not my cup of tea, but I can respect a good read when I read it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment