Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake, #1) by Chelsea M Cameron

My Favorite Mistake (My Favorite Mistake, #1)My Favorite Mistake by Chelsea M. Cameron
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 Stars

I wanted to give My Favorite Mistake 4 stars, but I just didn’t think the book deserved it. I really wanted to love My Favorite Mistake, it had all the things I look for in a story, arrogant bad boy, tough chick gal and college setting, but… it wasn’t enough. I would describe My Favorite Mistake as luke-warm with a touch of mild obvious drama.

[Summary]

Taylor is pretty closed-off when it comes to guys, but she has a lot of friends and just wants to go to college. On her first day at the dorms, she realizes her roommate is a guy, Hunter, Taylor isn’t happy about this. Hunter and Taylor both have “pasts” and living in close quarters makes it hard for both of them to keep their secrets.

[Taylor]

I didn’t like Taylor, I thought she was flat out MEAN and a huge drama queen. Big deal you are living with a guy, it’s not the end of the world, maybe I just couldn’t relate to her issues towards Hunter. At first glance Taylor didn’t like Hunter and I couldn’t understand why, it’s like he did anything. I wish Chelsea M. Cameron, wrote a scene prior to Taylor and Hunter meeting, like the night before they met at a bar and got into a fight, it would have made Taylor’s instant dislike of Hunter a little bit more believable.

[Hunter]

I didn’t like Hunter either. I am sure Hunter is attractive to Taylor and probably is turned on with the hard-to-get vibe Taylor dishes, but in all honestly would a guy like Hunter go for Taylor in real life? Probably not. Taylor is too mean for a “good looking” guy like Hunter to form interest. I didn’t see anything attractive with Taylor’s personality, other than she’s great with friends.

[Review]

Therefore, I wasn’t fond of Taylor and Hunter’s relationship. I love banter between two characters, but 50% into the story and I was still dealing with banter, I was wondering where the relationship was going to go. I was actually getting bored and dropped the book for another book. I kept on reading My Favorite Mistake only because I was waiting for some action.

I was more interested in Hunter and Taylor’s past. I felt like Taylor’s past was more dramatic than it should have been, if anything I thought Hunter’s past should have been the “big mystery”. I tried to convey some sympathy towards Taylor’s issues, but in the end, I was kind of thinking to myself, in reality, Taylor’s issues are horrible, but in book fantasy land, Taylor’s issues and past doesn’t justify the 8 years of therapy she says she went through.

I gave My Favorite Mistake 3.5 stars because I loved the overall storyline and plot; I just didn’t like the execution. I didn’t feel any chemistry between Taylor and Hunter and their relationship felt really forced. I think I would have liked My Favorite Mistake a lot more if I didn’t read the reviews and didn’t see the ratings so high.

Finally, I thought the bet was r-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s. Once I realized the two characters made a bet, I was seriously thinking of putting down the book because the bet in itself was so juvenile, but I stuck it out. On a positive note, I did like how the story wrapped up and Chelsea m Cameron referenced the title again on the last few pages and that is something I love when authors.

Anyhow, I know it seems like a rant, but My Favorite Mistake is a pretty decent story, I think it just didn’t mesh with my reading tastes.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment