Thursday, January 31, 2013

Without regret (Pyte/Sentinel, #2) by R.L. Mathewson

Without Regret (Pyte/Sentinel, #2)Without Regret by R.L. Mathewson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 Stars

It’s going to be hard for me to write this review, considering I’m a huge Mathewson fan, but Without Regret was pretty much okay and mildly disappointing

I loved book 1, Tall Dark Lonely but then again I’m a HUGE Ephraim fan, so I’ll be honest, I had some expectations for book 2 in the Pyte/Sentinel series.

So, it’s Chris’ and his mate’s (Isabella) story. To sum it up, Isabella and Chris are on the run because the bag guys want Isabella and Chris wants Isabella (Izzy), out of the way so Chris’ family aren’t endangered.

Let’s just get this out there, I’m all for the stubborn, arrogant a** hero, but I can only take so much “meaness”. Chris is pretty much an A-hole 95% of the book and this I.DID.NOT.LIKE. Point blank, I did not like Chris, in fact, it was very hard for me to not HATE him. The only reason why I remotely enjoyed reading was for the Ephraim parts.

I’m confused by Izzy, sometimes I like her, sometimes I feel sorry for her and sometimes I feel like she’s just plain silly, but not in a good way. The only way I could justify Izzy and Chris’ connection is because they are “mated”, other than that, it’s very unbelievable Izzy would ever be interested in an a** like Chris.

The story is SLOW, which surprised me because even though I’m use to Mathewson’s descriptive writing, I felt like there was just too much, I think the book could have omitted a good 100 pages. I wasn’t interested in the side-character’s back story, also, I already knew Chris’ back story from book 1, so I didn’t think it was necessary to have it retold several times within Without Regret

I mostly enjoyed the middle and end of the book, pretty much everything in between was either frustrating (because of Chris) or was a snore fest (because of the descriptive writing).

I will move on to book 3, only to hope Mathewson is redeemed.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment