Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Falling Stars (Falling Stars, #1) by Sadie Grubor


3 Stars

Like the addict I was, I overdosed in her and drifted into sleep

Le sigh…

I really wanted to like Falling Stars. It had all the elements I look for in a book, Falling Stars had a rocker/music theme, it was long, there was a lot of drama and the Hero is an arse… so why didn’t it work out for me?

[Summary]

Let’s get the summary over with… there’s Chris, he’s lead singer of the famous band, The Forgotten. There’s also Mia, lead singer to all girl up-and-coming band of Hushed Mentality. Mia’s band scores the opening act to The Forgotten, however Chris isn’t too happy with this and does whatever he can to get Mia kicked out.

The summary is a snap shot of the beginning plot. There’s a lot of stuff that goes on, but at the same time there’s a lot of nothing that goes on, but crying.

On to the review…

My first issue is with the alternating POV’s, from Chris to Mia. I did not like the way this was written and it was too confusing. I think the POV should have been broken by chapters, but it wasn’t. I would be reading a chapter and within the same chapter the POV shifts and it was kind of frustrating.

A good 30-40% could have been edited out. Falling Stars is very long and very repetitive. When you just finish reading from one’s POV and it shifts to the other POV, Sadie Grubor basically rewrites the same thing again! I.CAN.NOT.STAND.THIS. I mean, I get it, sometimes you want to know what’s going on in the other character’s head, but not within the same scene.

[Chris and Mia]

I don’t even know where to begin with Chris and Mia. One word to describe my feelings would be… beyond frustrated, annoyed, pissed, so-over- it!

Okay, maybe more than one word.

Chris is a completely total arse. I.DID.NOT.LIKE.CHRIS! Why did he want to kick Mia out? It didn’t make sense and after he heard how great she sang, he still didn’t like her. I didn’t get that. I didn’t even like him when he tried to redeem himself towards the middle-end, he was unredeemable to me.

Again, I get the whole damaged character, I’m all for damaged Heros, heck, I crave it! But I didn’t find Chris’ qualities attractive, EVEN when he was possessive and that’s hard for me to say because I LOVE possessive Heroes.

Chris cried way too much. Chris was ridiculous and kind of crazy. I know Chris has issues, but seriously… how much can a girl put up with? He beats a guy up just because the guy hugs Mia and the guy hugs her in front of a group of friends for heaven’s sakes! GIVE.ME.A.BREAK!

Oh Mia, I want to like her, I really do, but she is beyond …. Annoying! I wanted to SLAP her in the face. I mean 99% and I mean almost down to the last page, she still questioned Chris’ true feelings towards her and I am like, are you freaking kidding me?! The guy beat up a person because he hugged you and you are still playing the “oh Chris you don’t have to say that because you feel bad”…. WTF?

I am so over the Chris and Mia show. The whole book was up and down…

At 1% Chris is an arse

At 30% Chris is an arse, but Mia is helping him not be an arse

At 50% Chris isn’t so much as an arse, but Mia becomes indecisive and annoying

At 70% Chris becomes an arse again b/c of Mia’s indecisiveness and being annoying

At 90% Chris isn’t an arse anymore, but Mia is still kind of indecisive

Really… that’s what I was reading.

I gave Falling Stars 3 stars because overall the idea and concept was fine. I liked that the title was referenced. I liked the side characters and would love to read a novella on Elliot, Serena and Ryan’s story. I kind of understood what Sadie Grubor was trying to do, I mean I saw a lot of hints of Beautiful Disaster. I think the downfall was the lack of execution and finesse.

I think Chris and Mia’s character were 100% under development and needed to be polished a little bit more. If the story was edited down a bit, Falling Star could have been a winner. Sadly this book wasn’t for me and I HATE to give this type of review because I see the potential BUT I just didn’t get the magical feeling I usually get after a good read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment