Monday, March 31, 2014

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 Yummmyyy black dagger brotherhood Stars

Reading the Black Dagger Brotherhood is like getting an al la cart meal, you get a little bit of everything, there’s romance, action and fantasy.

What kind of World?

This is the world of Vampires. They can’t go out in daylight and don’t need blood from humans. Vampires feed off of the opposite sex, usually with their mate (like husband and wife). Full humans do not turn into vampires (half-humans can), vampires are born and fully “transition” around the age twenty-five. There are evil people called the Lesser who hunt down Vampires and kill them. There is a society of black dagger brotherhood, a group of warriors trained and skilled to fight Lessers and protect their kind.

The series is about the brothers in the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Summary

Wrath is King, but doesn’t act like it. He’s a warrior and trains and fights with his men. One of his brothers admits to Wrath that he had a child and she will be turning twenty-five soon, meaning she will transition. The father wants Wrath’s help in helping her turn because Wrath’s blood is almost pure vampire. Wrath declines at first, but eventually accepts.

Beth doesn’t know what’s going on, but she knows Wrath can help.

What worked for me

I really liked the story line. I really liked Wrath. I liked the chemistry between Wrath and Beth. Yes, there was insta-lust, but come on, it fits the world.
I’m a sucker for damsel in distress stories! The black dagger brotherhood books are completely these. Beth doesn’t know anything about the Vampire world because she grew up with the humans. When she’s immersed in Wrath’s world, it was really interesting seeing her interaction with other people, especially with the other strong warriors.

There was major character development, not only with the main characters but the side characters.

What didn’t work for me

There was a lot of POV’s going on. A lot of POV’s I didn’t care for. I get that there need to be character development, but sometimes I don’t really care that much what’s going on with the bad guys. Just get to the good stuff!

Beth did frustrate me at times, I think it’s because she was suppose to create tension, which I usually love, but at times, I just wanted to shake the girl.

Overall

There’s a lot of hype with this series and I am glad, I finally took the plunge. It was a bit slow for me at times and I did skim the POV’s I didn’t care for and since the read is so long, I felt like I didn’t really miss that much. I really liked the Wrath and Beth interaction and wished there was more of it.
The thing I love about these kinds of reads of that anything can happen and also there’s a lot to learn about the rules of the world. I was satisfied.

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1)AMAZON

No comments:

Post a Comment