Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Becoming Calder (A Sign of Love) by Mia Sheridan

Becoming Calder (A Sign of Love)Becoming Calder by Mia Sheridan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 Tie me in Knots Stars

Let me just get this out there. A LOT of people loved this book. I love dystopian and dark reads. I also love Mia Sheridan and as much as I wanted to give Becoming Calder five stars, I had issues with the layout of the book. Other than that, it was an enjoyable read written in a completely new direction.

My thoughts

1% Oh, interesting beginning

3% WTF, FLASHBACK…..

30% build up… still waiting for the present

40% still waiting

70% oh my god

80% NO!!!!!!!

90% still waiting for the present

99.9% back to the present

Here’s the thing. I didn’t know Finding was the next book. I thought Finding Eden was just a companion novel, like an little extra novella. So when I started Becoming Calder I was in the mood thinking the series was going to start and end.

I HAD NO IDEA I would be reading the beginning of Finding Eden in the beginning of Becoming Calder. If you can get past that, then you are golden.

Review

You will need little introduction for this one. Calder and Eden are part of a cult, but it’s not called that. If you ever read those Mormon biographies, you know where the sister wives escape, well it’s kind of like that. The cult is ruled by a religious leader, Hector who adopted Eden when she was ten and decided when Eden turns 18, Hector will marry her. Gross I know.

Calder is just a plain worker. He’s not good enough for Eden, but somehow Eden and Calder forge a friendship.

I really loved the idea of Becoming Calder. It’s so different, so fresh and new, I was on the edge of my seat THE ENTIRE BOOK. There were so many things that went against Eden and Calder’s relationship. Eden was watched constantly, Calder couldn’t offer anything to Eden and the society in general was crazy.

The whole book is about Eden and Calder forming this great connection, despite the crazy lifestyle they were living. Many times you will be happy, elated, crushed and sad. It starts off very slow at first (something Mia is known for), but oh when it picks up, you will be gasping for breath. It’s just that intense.

When I did finished, I had to take a few days before I started Finding Eden. There are a lot of emotions you will feel in Becoming Calder. It’s not for everyone, cult books are very different, but if you haven’t read one yet, I recommend this one.


Becoming Calder (A Sign of Love) by Mia SheridanAMAZON

No comments:

Post a Comment