Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward

Stepbrother DearestStepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 YES YES OH PLEASE YES STARS

I picked up Stepbrother Dearest for two reasons, one, it’s by Ward and two, hello, storyline! Stepbrother and stepsister, oh you know it’s going to be good.

AND IT IS GOOD

If you are looking for an emotional, intense, roller coaster read, then this one is for you. If you are looking for a jerk of a Hero you want to hate and love, then Elec is for you.

Summary

To sum it up, Elec moves in with Greta to live with her and the family for a year. Elec is mean, says off handed comments to Greta and wants nothing to do with his new family. Greta is the sweet sister that tries to see past Elec’s harsh demeanor.

Greta and Elec





What worked so well for me is simply the two main characters. Ward creates these characters that have so much depth and so much angst and so many issues, you just can’t stop reading!

And I didn’t. I read this sucker in one sitting and I could have read more.

Greta is a sweet heart. She’s the girl you want to be friends with and talk to on the phone. She tries really hard to form some friendship with Elec, but Elec makes it very different.

Ward is known to create really really really mean heroes. I’m use to this and I love it. Some of the things Elec does and says I’m just grinning from ear to ear, because it’s so mean, but it makes for such a great read.

He calls her pretty plain, he says she is pathetic and he continues to make snide remarks. It’s pretty fantastic.

Overall

I would describe the first half of the book just filled with youthful tension and banter. I love the relationship Greta and Elec have and you are just rooting for them to kiss. The second half would be more angsty and a little darker. The emotions of the two are heightening. I enjoyed both aspects of the book and couldn’t see it any other way. I felt like it really rounded the story.

The only part I couldn’t take was Elec’s POV you will get for a bit. I felt like it was a tad redundant and I understood what Ward was trying to do, but still I didn’t feel like reread again. I kind of skimmed that part.

Other that than, if you are a Ward fan and like her style of writing as I do, then you will not be disappointed.

Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope WardAMAZON

No comments:

Post a Comment