Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Full Measures by Rebecca Yarros




Three knocks can change everything…


"She knew. That’s why Mom hadn’t opened the door. She knew he was dead."



Twenty years as an army brat and Ember Howard knew, too. The soldiers at the door meant her dad was never coming home. What she didn’t know was how she would find the strength to singlehandedly care for her crumbling family when her mom falls apart. 



Then Josh Walker enters her life. Hockey star, her new next-door neighbor, and not to mention the most delicious hands that insist on saving her over and over again. He has a way of erasing the pain with a single look, a single touch. As much as she wants to turn off her feelings and endure the heartache on her own, she can’t deny their intense attraction.



Until Josh’s secret shatters their world. And Ember must decide if he’s worth the risk that comes with loving a man who could strip her bare.


 

I do a re-read with my favorite books and this is my first book narrated by Carly Robins. I’m spoiled with duel POV’s narrations. I would love to have listened to Josh’s POV, but Carly did a good job. You can sense her emotions completely. There are some dramatic points during the read and oh boy you felt for her. You can feel Ember through Carly and it just made the audio listening experience better.
5 Endearing Stars

Reading Full Measures was like finding a lost gem in a sea of stones. It was light, but sad, amazing and not what I expected

On Ember’s twentieth birthday she lost her Dad and her world was turned upside down. Her mom is too distraught to function, her younger teenager sister is rebelling like crazy and her seven year old brother needs someone to take care of him. Despite Ember’s pain, she steps up to take care of her family. It’s not easy for Ember to take on her Mom and Dad’s shoes, she’s still in school, still has friends and still has a boyfriend, but Josh Walker, Ember’s old high school crush, seems to always be there to help her when she’s having a rough day

Oh MY GOD, I LOVE A DAMSEL IN DISTRESS, yet STRONG Heroine story line!

Ember

I adore Ember. She’s not your typical Heroine. When she finds out her dad dies, you just FEEL FOR HER! You want to wrap her in your arms and tell her that everything is going to be okay. Ember is just heart-broken, but she keeps herself together for the sake of the family. Her brother wants her to get a cake for her birthday and so Ember goes to the store and buys cake. She forgets her wallet and Josh is there to pay for her.

Josh

I really liked Josh. Full Measures is told from Ember’s POV, but Josh has the perfect balance of Hero, Jerk and Cave-man tendencies. I didn’t want him to be super perfect and he wasn’t. He is just so sweet and caring and is always there for Ember.

Overall

Towards the second half of the book, it shifts and it everything just gets super intense. I was going through so many emotions, but in a very good way. I couldn’t get enough and I needed to see how everything was going to play out!

I LOVE the way Full Measures was written because there were NO FLASHBACKS! I got the story from start to finish and I was emotional from start to finish. I also loved the pace. There’s a lot that happens in Full Measures and a lot of character development. As Ember struggles to take care of her family, she slowly grows and starts finding herself too.

I even love the side characters. I loved reading the Mom’s pain, the brother’s adorableness and even her sister who was always annoying, but was addictive to read about. I think Full Measures worked out so well for me because Yarros made it believable and emotional. I felt like I was there. I felt like I was reading Ember’s dynamics. I felt the chemistry and banter between Josh and Ember and it was perfect!

THIS IS A MUST READ!

Audio Questions

If you could sum up Full Measures in three words, what would they be?

Emotional, Tear-jerker, Endearing

What did you like best about this story?

Josh Walker! I love the Hero. Sometimes you want to fall for the nice guy, the guy that is always there, and the guy that can bring a smile to your face. Yarros created such a sexy, yet lovable Hero. I couldn’t get enough of him. I loved how he was always there for Ember, but he didn’t let Ember jerk him around. He had this crazy balance of sweet and sexy confident male.

Which scene was your favorite?

I loved the beginning. I loved reading Ember’s emotions while she found out her father died. You just feel for her. You feel her pain, her emotions and even confusion. I love how Josh and Ember first meet and she didn’t have money to buy her own birthday cake! I was so sad and cute at the same time. I loved it.

Was there a moment in the book that particularly moved you?

Overall, it was a moving book. I think Josh and Ember’s dynamics were pretty intense, which makes sense because they re-met under a stressful situation.  I loved how put together the book was. Every scene and every moment was there for a reason. I liked how the beginning kind of connected with the ending. Totally blew my mind. It was perfect.


Rebecca Yarros is a hopeless romantic and lover of all things chocolate, coffee, and Paleo. In addition to being a mom, military wife, and blogger, she can never choose between Young Adult and New Adult fiction, so she writes both. She’s a graduate of Troy University, where she studied European history and English, but still holds out hope for an acceptance letter to Hogwarts. Her blog, The Only Girl Among Boys, has been voted the Top Military Mom Blog the last two years, and celebrates the complex issues surrounding the military life she adores.

When she’s not writing, she’s tying on hockey skates for her kids, or sneaking in some guitar time. She is madly in love with her army-aviator husband of eleven years, and they’re currently stationed in Upstate NY with their gaggle of rambunctious kiddos and snoring English Bulldog, but she would always rather be home in Colorado. 

http://www.rebeccaelizabethyarros.com

Full Measures


No comments:

Post a Comment