Thursday, August 17, 2017

Irresistible You (Chicago Rebels #1) by Kate Meader

Hot in Chicago series author Kate Meader returns with her all new, scorching Chicago Rebels hockey series, featuring her signature “steamy sex scenes, colorful characters, and riveting dialogue” (Romantic Times). Three estranged sisters inherit their late father’s failing hockey franchise and are forced to confront a man’s world, their family’s demons, and the battle-hardened ice warriors skating into their hearts.

Harper Chase has just become the most powerful woman in the NHL after the death of her father Clifford Chase, maverick owner of the Chicago Rebels. But the team is a hot mess—underfunded, overweight, and close to tapping out of the league. Hell-bent on turning the luckless franchise around, Harper won’t let anything stand in her way. Not her gender, not her sisters, and especially not a veteran player with an attitude problem, a chip on his shoulder, and a smoldering gaze designed to melt her ice-compacted defenses.

Veteran center Remy “Jinx” DuPre is on the downside of a career that’s seen him win big sponsorships, fans’ hearts, and more than a few notches on his stick. Only one goal has eluded him: the Stanley Cup. Sure, he’s been labeled as the unluckiest guy in the league, but with his recent streak of good play, he knows this is his year. So why the hell is he being shunted off to a failing hockey franchise run by a ball-buster in heels? And is she seriously expecting him to lead her band of misfit losers to a coveted spot in the playoffs?

He’d have a better chance of leading Harper on a merry skate to his bed…

3 Stars
Irresistible You is a standalone and is the first book in the Chicago Rebels series. This is my first Kate Meader book. Sports romance isn’t my favorite romance genre, but I like Hockey reads the best. Irresistible You is similar to the Sarina Bowen’s Brooklyn Bruisers series and Sawyer Bennett’s Cold Fury Hockey series, both series I enjoyed reading.

Kate Meader’s writing style is very meaty and very descriptive. I tend to enjoy more informal, faster pace and more dialogued based books. It’s not a writing style that I jive with at first, but eventually it warmed to me.

Harper’s dad dies and leaves the Chicago Rebels hockey team to her and her sisters, her half-sisters. Ouch right? I found this a cute storyline and I hope each sister gets her own book and maybe they each hook-up with a hockey player.

Harper is the organized one. She’s been training for this moment and although she’s disappointed she doesn’t outright own the team, she’s ready to prove to her father she can manage the team. It’s just that not everyone can be managed.

It was difficult for me to relate to Harper. I wanted to like her at first because of her personality, but I felt like at first impression I couldn’t get a grasp of who she was. Yes, she was disappointed but I wanted a little more emotion. I’m glad that Remy came into play because I felt like he brought out most of her qualities.

Remy was another character that was hard for me to relate to as well. He’s one of the older players, but a good one. He’s tired of being on a losing team and wants to win a Stanley cup. I found Remy selfish at first, but as I got to know him, I found his personality better. He had his moments but he eventually redeemed himself. I love his nickname for her “minou”.

As individuals it was a little hard to like Harper and Remy, but as they interacted together and brought out more emotions I enjoyed the book more. I liked the slight tension and it added something to the book. Irresistible you has a lot of character development and steam. You definitely get an idea to how the characters are feeling.

There is a lot of character interaction between Harper and Remy and not as many secondary character interaction as I thought I would find in a series (to make build-up for the next books). This is not a compliant, just something I noticed. Okay, I would say I wanted more Harper and sister interaction, only because I have a sister and I can relate.

Overall, Irresistible You is a decent sports romance. If you are a fan of chick-lit books with a hockey theme, then I think you will enjoy this one a lot.






Kate writes sexy contemporary romance with alpha heroes and strong heroines who can match their men quip for quip. Her latest series, Hot in Chicago, features firefighting foster siblings. With tattoos.


Read as an ...



No comments:

Post a Comment