Monday, July 22, 2013

Consequences (Consequences #1) by Aleatha Romig


 
5 Stars

I’m going to put this out there right now, my review will not do FULL justice, but I will try my best.

One work to describe CONSEQUENCES is F&CK!!!!

Yes, I used “F&CK” to describe this desirously yummy book.

I cannot express how crazy, exciting, heart-thrilling, pull-you-hair-out and slap-you-in-the-face kind of story CONSEQUENCES is.

-HUGE DISCLAIMER LISTED -

- CONSEQUENCES is NOT for everyone

- CONSEQUENCES is NO hearts and flowers kind of book

- CONSEQUENCES has a sadistic HERO

- CONSEQUENCES has a cliff-hanger ending

In full disclosure, I was aware of all the above and I am not sure if I would have the same reaction if I didn’t. I would describe myself as someone who is a huge fan of happy-go-lucky stories, BUT every once in awhile, I LOVE to read an epic book.

CONSEQUENCES is an EPIC BOOK

I just can’t believe I said that, but it’s 100% true, so let’s just jump in with a brief summary because that’s all that is necessary.

[Summary]

Claire has over $200K in debt because of school and getting laid off. Anthony (Tony) is rich and offers a Claire a deal, if she is willing to do anything he says then he would pay off her debt. Claire drunkly agrees and doesn’t take the deal seriously. Tony kidnaps Claire stating he had a deal with Claire and therefore she must agree to whatever Tony says and his conditions.

So, my summary is just a tip of the iceberg because there is so much more, but it’s enough. I wouldn’t call CONSEQUENCES a typical kidnap / stockholm syndrome book, it’s more of a psychological mind-f&ck book.

The story progresses and shifts SO MANY TIMES, I just never knew where I was going, I didn’t know how Tony was going to act and I didn’t know how Claire was going to react, it was just delicious to read!

At 27% I couldn’t stop cringing and smiling every time I read “Good Evening Claire” The tension was too much

At 50% I was like “OMG WHAT” I needed a mini-break

At 79% I was a ball of roller coaster of emotions and needed Prozac to calm the F down

I took a 7 day break! I only had 30% left and I couldn’t stomach any more tension, finally…

At 90% I was just grabbing fist full of hair and glued to my tablet, NOTHING was going to stop me from finishing

At 99% I was jumping for joy and then collapsing on the couch b/c I was exhausted

Reading CONSEQUENCES is like running a marathon, you know you are in for a rough ride and it’s nice and slow in the beginning, then you start getting tired and by the end you are wiped out and exhausted, but glad you did it and can’t wait to do it all over again.

I didn’t read the reviews, but from what I skim, no one was a fan of Tony and let me just say this.

[Tony]

I LOVED TONY No, I didn’t love him because I thought he was the wonderful Hero I usually read. I loved Tony because his character was so complex, so damaged, so sadistic, so crazy, he was a treat to read. Every time Tony did something to Claire I kept on asking myself WHY?! I wanted to know the reason behind it.

Not every action is justified, but you do get your answer and it may not be what you were looking for, but it’s there, it’s something, I call it a cookie crumb of the truth.

[Claire]

I found more fault with Claire because I couldn’t understand her reasoning. I understand brain washing, I understand love, but I couldn’t understand on-going abusive on the receiving end. I don’t know why I find more fault on the Heroine than the Hero, but I just do, HOWEVER, I overall liked her. I think my issues with Claire were warranted. In a way Claire is her own ball of crazy.

[The relationship]

The relationship was controlling, one-sided and mind boggling. Consequences is long, but every word, every paragraph is a build up to something more. And as you read, you want that happy-ending or a happy turning point. There are moments you think there is some redeeming quality in Tony because you get a glimpse of his venerability, BUT NO, he’s a sadistic a$$hole and it makes you want to scream, but continue to read because you are just searching for that light.

I love Consequences for different reasons why I typically love a book. This is not a happy-go-lucky book and in all honesty, you can’t read in one sitting, sure there are huge chunks you need to read and want to read, and I strongly urge breaks to regroup, but I will honestly say, the ending brought my rating from 4 stars to 5.

The last 10% is the PERFECT climactic-ending I crave and search for in every read

I usually don’t like cliff-hanger endings, but this one was just great in my opinion and maybe I can say this because Truth is out.

This book is not for the faint of heart, it’s a book of mind-games and you will be questioning throughout the story, but it is also written beautifully, the characters are strongly developed and each action has a point and leads to something better, which leads to an overall makings of a fantastic read.

I recommend but with caution. Happy reading!


[Rating]
5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment