Friday, August 23, 2013

Book Review - The Redemption of Callie & Kayden (The Coincidence #2) by Jessica Sorensen


5 Soul Searching Stars

I didn’t have any expectations going into The Redemption of Callie and Kayden.  I thought The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden was an overall enjoyable read, but when I was left a little disappointed with The Forever of Ella and Micha, I didn’t know what to expect.

The Redemption of Callie and Kayden was enjoyable, moving and will leave you with a satisfying feeling despite the closed-ended cliffy.  Do not be deter in reading because of the close-ended cliffy, really it’s not, it just leads you to book 3.

Every action Callie and Kayden did was called for. I understood them, I got them and I was never annoyed, frustrated or bored. This is when you know an author is writing for their readers. There’s no BS and there’s no stupid issue, all the emotions and conflictions are valid and expressed beautifully.


My pet peeves with a lot of reads are books with ridiculous characters.  I am talking about when there is an issue that could be easily solved with a 15 minute conversation. You do not get that in The Redemption of Callie and Kayden and OH.THANK.GOD!

This is where my review stops being spoiler free. I will address the issues referencing book 1, so if you haven’t read it, stop reading this review.

The book picks up where book 1 leaves off.  Kayden is in “rehab” and Callie is still dealing with the rape.  I would describe this book as two damaged souls searching for peace with the help of each other, but with a shit load of problems.  Kayden can be a major dick. He’s very closed off and he continues to push Callie away and really you love him more for it.

I loved Callie. I thought she was strong, with flaws and all. So I’ve been debating if I should reference this, but I like to call myself an honest reviewer, so with that said, I understand what Callie is going through. I’ve battle with my personal issue for seven years. It’s an addiction and it’s very controlling. I’ve seen therapists and only a few people know. So I am always nervous when I read a Herione having that similar problem, but Jessica Sorensen nailed it.


Callie is the most stunning, incredible, kind, loving person I’ve ever met. It has to mean something that she cares for me

She owns me and I want nothing more to be with her. I’m here, sitting with her, and she’s amazing and keeps my heart beating.

Everything Callie said and did, I understood. I understood being underweight, I understood where it wasn’t about being skinny, I understood about being “clean” and getting those negative emotions out. I got it and it really rounded Callie’s character. 

I am not sure if The Redemption of Callie and Kayden is for everyone simply because a lot of the issues addressed in the book, some readers can take personally.  I have known people who cut themselves and it’s a very difficult battle to overcome.  You become sort of a different person when you are in midst of the act and you will say what-ever you need to say to get the action done. That was a beautiful scene.


I didn’t rate this book 5 stars because of my personal issue, I rated it because it was a beautiful, sad and dramatic story with a lot of obstacles that could have easily been written as cliché or too dramatic, but it wasn’t. Like I said, it’s a beautifully written story. I recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment