Saturday, October 31, 2015

#Selfie (Hashtag, #4) - Cambria Hebert [Audio Review]

It’s all about the #Selfie.

She was the one girl I never wanted.

Until I had her.

One night.

One mistake.

Something we both wanted to forget.

I got rid of the proof. The one piece of evidence that could remind us both.

At least, I thought I did.When it shows up on the school Buzzfeed, rumors fly. Friendships are tested and the feels get real.


I don’t do relationships. I don’t open my heart.

Especially for a girl everyone knows I hate.

What happens during spring break, stays in spring break.

Until it follows you home.













3 ** scratching my head** stars
#Selfie is a standalone and is part of the Hashtag series. The first three books are Romeo and Rim’s story (whom I love and adore).  The next book is #Poser, which continues Braeden’s (B) story from #Selfie, but #Selfie is a standalone.

I will have to put this disclaimer out there. I love the series. I’m a mega fan of Romeo and Rim, but I had a secret crush on B from the first book, #Nerd. I love how funny, abrasive and egotistical B was throughout the series. I find his relationship with Rim adorable, cute and kind. So I had high expectations going into #Selfie.

I waited to do the audio because I was curious to see how my experience would be verse reading the series, like I did with the first three books.

If you follow my reviews, you know I post positive reviews. No, I don’t love every book I read, but if I don’t like a book, I just don’t post a review. But I feel like it’s my duty to put this out there.
When you do an audio book there are certain expectations you set as a listener. I love dual POV audio books. There’s something about listening to a male’s voice that just makes my experience better and more enhanced. I agree with the author, B’s voice was disappointing. Don’t get me wrong, the narrator’s voice is lovely, but it didn’t fit B’s personality. Also, it’s obvious that the voice is an older man, a man in his 40’s and 50’s, which doesn’t fit with B’s twenty-something character.  Usually when I listen to a voice I’m not fond of, I eventually get into it. So on the bright side, after a few hours, it didn’t bother me so much anymore and I could get into the story.

If you do not plan to do the audio, then here are my thoughts about the book.
There are mixed reviews for #Selfie, you either loved it or thought it was okay. I would say #Selfie has the most angst in the series and B is painted into a different light in this book. He’s got some flaws and it’s apparent in the story.

I’m not a fan of angst and I had certain perceptions of B from the beginning of the series, so that played a huge role while I listened to #Selfie.

B is a ladies man, he’s abrasive and doesn’t want a serious relationship. Ivy is your typical college girl, trying to find herself, but also try to have a good time. She’s beautiful and put together, but not everything is what it seems and there’s more to her than the make-up and blonde hair.

B and Ivy’s relationship pretty much start out with insta-lust. I have no issues with this, but it set the tone for the relationship between the two. Ivy has a huge complex because Missy has a crush on B and well, you just don’t hook up with your friend’s crush. Girl code right?

It’s hard to empathize for Missy. I understand Ivy’s concerns because Ivy wants to not hurt her friend, but at the same time, B gave no indication that he wanted anything with Missy, so shouldn’t Missy just simply move on?  This kind of led to the “secret” throughout the whole book.

B is a hard Hero to love. In the first three books he’s pretty much drama-free and happy-go-lucky (at least in my eyes), but in #Selfie you see a lot of his issues. He’s not romantic and sometimes his gestures towards Ivy can be kind of harsh. There’s a point in the book where he called her an offensive name and it was hard for me to move past that, he’s not the perfect Hero and that dynamic gives him may layers to work through.

The whole book focuses on how B and Ivy’s not so easy relationship. Ivy tries to date other people to move past B, but of course no one measures up to him. When a Heroine dates other people, it always makes me want to slap the character, because it doesn’t do any good for the “nice guy” that is kind of used. Hopefully Trent gets his book.

Secrets are revealed later on and you take it as it comes. It will either shock or like me kind of confuse you, but you go with it.

I understand the glowing reviews. It’s an angst filled book with a complex Hero and a damage girl. A lot is revealed in the book and it kind of starts the momentum for #Poser.

I love Ivy’s narrator for this book. She’s light, cute and very girlie. I imaged Ivy completely as I was listening to it and maybe that is why I agree more with Ivy than B.

I wouldn’t compare B and Ivy’s relationship with Romeo and Rim. Both couples are very different and both stories go into a different direction. If you like a bit of angst and are curious to how B changes, then #Selfie is for you. 







#Nerd - AMAZON | REVIEW
#Hater - AMAZON | REVIEW
#Player - AMAZON | B&N | REVIEW
#Selfie AMAZON






Cambria Hebert is a bestselling novelist of more than twenty books. She went to college for a bachelor’s degree, couldn’t pick a major, and ended up with a degree in cosmetology. So rest assured her characters will always have good hair.
Besides writing, Cambria loves a caramel latte, staying up late, sleeping in, and watching movies. She considers math human torture and has an irrational fear of chickens (yes, chickens). You can often find her running on the treadmill (she’d rather be eating a donut), painting her toenails (because she bites her fingernails), or walking her chorkie (the real boss of the house). 

Cambria has written within the young adult and new adult genres, penning many paranormal and contemporary titles. Her favorite genre to read and write is romantic suspense. A few of her most recognized titles are: Text, Torch, Tryst, Masquerade, and Recalled.

Cambria Hebert owns and operates Cambria Hebert Books, LLC.





No comments:

Post a Comment