Saturday, April 18, 2015

Hothouse Flower (Calloway Sisters #2) by Krista & Becca Ritchie




Ryke Meadows, meet Daisy Calloway ... she’s all grown up. 

Twenty-five-year-old Ryke Meadows knows he’s hard to love. With a billion-dollar inheritance, a track-star resume, and an alpha-male personality—he redefines the term likable asshole. But he’s not living to make friends. Or enemies. He just wants to free climb three of the toughest mountains in Yosemite without drama or interruption.

And then he receives a distressed call from a girl in Paris—a girl that he has never been allowed to have.

Daisy Calloway is eighteen. Finally. With her newfound independence, she can say goodbye to her overbearing mother and continue her modeling career. Next stop, Paris. Fashion Week begins with a bang, and Daisy uncovers the ugly reality of the industry. She wants to prove to her family that she can live on her own, but when everything spirals out of control, she turns to Ryke to keep her secrets. 

As Daisy struggles to make sense of this new world and her freedom, she pushes the limits and fearlessly rides the edge. Ryke knows there’s deep hurt beneath every impulsive action. He must keep up with Daisy, and if he lets her go, her favorite motto—“live as if you’ll die today”—may just come true.



I’m doing a re-read through an audio version. I’m a major fan of audio books and I’ve listened to four books in this series and I’ve loved them all. Below is my book review and my audio review is below that.

4.5 (Ryke and that Mouth) STARS

“You’re a hothouse flower… You can’t grow under natural conditions. You need adventure. And security and love in order to stay alive.”


I LOVE RYKE AND DAISY SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hothouse flower is the second book in the Calloway Sisters series. This is a spin-off from the Addicted series. I highly recommend you read the Addicted series, books one and two prior to reading Hothouse flower.

Daisy is all grown up! Daisy is eighteen and Ryke is twenty-five. There’s a slight age gap, but now that Daisy is legal, the gap doesn’t seem that big.

I’m a major fan of this series and Ryke has always been one of my top favorite characters, I think it’s because he’s so sexy and swears like a sailor. Ever since Daisy was attacked in the previous books, she has been kind of scared. She has night terrors and is really paranoid. It doesn’t help that the paparazzi are everywhere. Daisy doesn’t want to be a burden to her sisters so Daisy sticks to herself, except for Ryke.

Ryke is the only one that knows Daisy’s secrets. He is also there for her, every day.

I love the Daisy and Ryke dynamics. The relationship is so intense. No, Ryke is just so intense. I would describe the tone of the book as “serious”. A lot of issues are going to come to light and even though both don’t want to do it, the issues will be addressed.

Ryke cares for Daisy deeply. He has noticed her since she was fourteen and even though she’s legal now, he can’t cross the line he created years ago. Also, Lo doesn’t want Ryke to date Daisy because Ryke’s of reputation.

Two words to describe Hothouse Flower is - > SEXUAL TENSION! 

Ryke is so sexy. He’s a sexy mountain climber with a BUNCH of Daddy issues. He adventurous, sexy and has a crazy dirty mouth. As much as he doesn’t want Daisy, he can’t help but be there for her. Daisy and Ryke’s chemistry is off the charts!

“To me, he’s worth every loud moment, every peaceful silence, the crazy and the sad, the restless and the quiet.”

“He’s like my wolf—dangerous, alluring and protective—but I can never get close enough or else he’ll bite me.”


I love how much Ryke cares for Daisy. It’s the can’t-eat-can’t-sleep type of love. It’s just melts your heart and makes you gasp for air. Ryke has a lot of problems, but despite all of that, he puts Daisy number one in his life. I loved reading his inner monologues. You can feel his struggles, his pain and how he tries very hard to do the right thing. He just wants everyone to get along.

I kind of like the whole damsel in distress story line. Daisy is so scared to sleep that Ryke sleeps with her. There is no funny business but no one in the family knows. It works out fine until Daisy goes to Paris for fashion week and Ryke goes mountain climbing.

I feel like I got to know Daisy so much more. I connected with her character and I understood her. I felt her fears and paranoia and it just breaks your heart. Nothing was better than reading Ryke being there for her.

The one thing I love about this series is how each character stands out on it’s own. I know who I am reading within the first sentence. I love the unique personalities, the complex problems and inner struggles each characters faces.

“Beginnings are the hardest because they’re the parts that pull people in, that make them want the ends. And endings are the most painful, the parts that can leave you bleeding out.”


I.love.every.single.thing.

There’s plenty of interaction with the rest of the gang, Connor, Rose, Lily and Lo, so that worked out perfectly for me! There’s a lot of adventure though with bike rides, road trips and camp sites, oh my!

Like I said previously, a lot of issues will surface, Ryke will have to deal with his father, Daisy will have to come to terms with her fears and both will have to work on pleasing everyone, including themselves.

It’s a beautiful story. 

Audio Questions

If you could sum up Hothouse Flower: Calloway Sisters, Book 2 in three words, what would they be? 

Intense, Emotional, Beautiful

What was one of the most memorable moments of Hothouse Flower: Calloway Sisters, Book 2? 

I can’t give everything away, but I think the most memorable moment in the story is the changing point within Daisy’s character. There’s a part where I completely felt for Daisy. While I was listening, I just felt like all those emotions, excitements and nervousness just burst out. It was so dynamic, but also touching.

Have you listened to any of Stephen Dexter and Jessica Almasy ’s other performances before? How does this one compare? 

This is my first audio narration by Stephen Dexter and it will not be the last! I tried looking at other books he has narrated and this is the only romance audio I could find. Stephen’s voice isn’t deep, but it’s very youthful. He speaks clearly and his voice is very sexy. I’m a major fan.

This is my first audio narration by Jessica Almasy. She does great voice transitions, when she changes her voice to other characters. Her voice is very unique. If I listened to another book with her narration, I would know it’s hers. She has a slightly high-pitched voice and it applied to Daisy’s character really well.

Did you have an extreme reaction to this book? Did it make you laugh or cry? 

I most definitely had a strong reaction towards this book. It’s very emotional and there are some heart-filled moments. You will be thoroughly entertained. I’ve read every single book in this series, the spin-off series and it just amazes me how wonderful each book is. The authors are super talented and Hothouse Flower never disappointed me.

An Audio copy was provided.


SERIES
     

Addicted to You - AMAZON (Audio - $1.99) (Kindle - FREE) - REVIEW

Ricochet - AMAZON - REVIEW

 Addicted for Now - AMAZON - REVIEW

Kiss the Sky - AMAZON - REVIEW

Hothouse Flower - AMAZON  (Audio - $1.99) - REVIEW

Thrive - AMAZON

Addicted After All - AMAZON



Krista & Becca Ritchie are identical twins—one a science nerd, the other a comic book geek—but with their shared passion for writing, they combined their mental powers as kids and have never stopped telling stories. Now in their early twenties, they write about other twenty-somethings navigating through life, college, and romance. They love superheroes, flawed characters, and soul mate love.

They are the New Adult authors of the Addicted series and Calloway Sisters spin-off series, and you can find them on almost every social media, frolicking around like wannabe unicorns.

AUTHOR LINKS



No comments:

Post a Comment