Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Last Mile (Vicious Cycle #3) Katie Ashley [Review]


After her father was murdered in the line of duty, ATF agent Samantha Vargas is determined to take down the scumbags of the drug trade. When her partner takes on a case to infiltrate the Hells Raiders MC, Samantha agrees to go undercover as his old lady but is surprised to find herself drawn to the very man she is investigating.

Benjamin “Bishop” Malloy has worked hard to carve a place for himself both in and out of the MC world. Working days as a mechanic, he spends his nights rebuilding motorcycles with the hope of one day owning his own shop. After taking one of the club’s new hang-arounds under his wing, Bishop is conflicted over his growing attraction for the man’s girlfriend.

Even though she’s determined to bring down the Raiders, Samantha discovers their world isn’t as black-and-white as she thought. And as the stakes grow higher, she’s in danger of losing more than her heart.



4 Bishop Malloy Stars
I love this series, each book is about a different character and each book is so different. I would say the first two books were a little more intense and Last Mile is tamer. This is Bishop and Samantha’s story.

The book starts off with a bang when we witness Samantha’s father death.  He was killed by a biker. It will grip your heart and you will feel for the girl. Samantha becomes an ATF agent and takes down the bad guys.

Gavin is her partner and both of them do a lot of undercover work. Gavin needs to get in with the Raiders. Samantha is Gavin’s undercover girlfriend so she can get the inside scope from a woman’s prospective.

Sam is a tough girl. She’s an agent so she knows how to take care of herself but she has traumatic issues with her father’s death. She isn’t comfortable around bikers, but she doesn’t let it affect her job. I was really nervous reading this book because we all know you know what will hit the fan eventually. As the Heroine works undercover, no good can come of this. This creates some angst and tension in the book.

The relationship between Gavin and Sam is cute. Gavin is gay so there is no love triangle, but since they are a pretend couple, Bishop knows he can’t pursue Sam because she is taken. I really liked Bishop, he’s a hard guy, but he’s really sweet and nice. He’s not like your typical MC guys.
I can feel the tension and attraction Bishop has for Sam, but it’s sad because he can’t have her. So the steam element is mild as well.  I think the banter between Sam and Bishop is cute because they harmless flirt and don’t really take it any farther.

The book shifts in the middle and I really like this change of direction. I feel like it brings the storyline forward and we get to see a different side of Bishop and Sam.

 If you are a fan of the series or Katie Ashley, you will not be disappointed.


An ARC was provided

Excerpt
From Redemption Road

“What are you doing?”
“Getting you into the shower.” At what must’ve been my skeptical expression, he added, “It’s the fastest way to get you warm.”
“I see,” I murmured.
He made quick work of turning on the water and testing it with his fingers. When it seemed to his satisfaction, he turned back to me. I still sat on the toilet, shivering and trembling.
We stared at each other for a moment. Rev jerked a hand through his hair. “Yeah, uh, I guess I better let you get in now.”
When he started to go, I grabbed his arm. “Wait. I need help getting out of this dress.”
His eyes flared at my request. It wasn’t a come-on in disguise. I had needed the help of one of our maids earlier tonight to get it zipped. Instead of asking me to stand up, Rev bent over my back, bringing his hands to the zipper. Slowly, he tugged it down. 
As the front gaped open, I didn’t bother trying to cover myself.
Rev’s hands momentarily faltered, and when I looked up, I met his gaze, which was staring at my bare breasts. I hadn’t needed to wear a bra because of the tight-fitting bodice. He cleared his throat several times, then tugged the zipper the rest of the way down.
There was not a doubt in my mind, heart, or body about how much I wanted him. I knew he expected me to want to take things slow in the sex department, but that’s not how I felt. Regardless of the ghosts of the past, I wanted him more than I had ever wanted any man. I wanted him to be the one who proved to me that sex was physically and emotionally safe. That it could be a loving act between two consenting people.
But with the roller coaster of feelings rocketing through me, it was more about an all-consuming lust and desire.
When Rev stepped back from me, I rose to my feet. The dress slid down my body and pooled at my feet, leaving me in only my panties. Both empowerment and vulnerability raced through me.
“Rev, I want you to look at me.” He shook his head and kept his gaze on the floor. “I said I want you to look at me,” I repeated.
“That’s not what this is about. It’s about you getting warm before you catch pneumonia,” he countered.
“I could care less about getting sick. Right now what I care about is seeing the man I love want me sexually. To look at me like he wants to devour me.”
His eyes, which burned with lust and unfilled desire, snapped to mine. “How can you ever doubt even for a second how I feel about you?”
I threw my hands up. “Because I’m standing practically naked before you and you won’t fucking look at me!”
“We’re both teetering at the edge of uncharted territory. After everything you’ve been through, I would rather die than hurt you.” 
“You hurt me more when you won’t look at me or touch me,” I protested.
With an agonized sigh, Rev finally allowed his gaze to rake down my body. There was no feeling of embarrassment or inadequacy. Just the look on his face warmed me from head to toe. “You’re so beautiful,” he murmured.
Tears stung my eyes from his adoration. “I am?” I questioned. 
He smiled. “Every inch of you.”



SERIES
Vicious Cycle #1 REVIEW


Redemption Road #2 REVIEW


Last Mile #3 AMAZON 

I got to meet Katie at a book signing. It was years ago, but she was so adorable and sweet.
More Book Signing Photos - HERE


Katie Ashley is a New York Times, USA Today, and Amazon Best-Selling author. She lives outside of Atlanta, Georgia with her two very spoiled dogs. She has a slight obsession with Pinterest, The Golden Girls, Harry Potter, Shakespeare, Supernatural, Designing Women, and Scooby-Doo.
With a BA in English, a BS in Secondary English Education, and a Masters in Adolescent English Education, she spent 11 1/2 years educating the Youth of America aka teaching MS and HS English until she left to write full time in December 2012.







No comments:

Post a Comment